Reader reviews and comments on Saturday, plus links to write your own review.

Saturday

Apr 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Saturday

Velma

A Master of Writing
Masterful writing! I do not believe that I would have finished this book if it had been written by a less skilled writer. McEwan draws you into an ordinary day for an imaginary character and makes it real. This book would be a real joy for any aspiring writer to study.
Leonard Browne

24 - London style
With every page read we are drawn deeper into the life and world of neurologist Henry Perowne, as Ian McEwan reveals as he penetrates the mind and inner workings of his main character. A highly successful surgeon, with a family he loves dearly, Henry's weekly day of leisure turns out to be anything but. Set in the early months of 2003, on the day of mass anti-war protests in London, McEwan creates a whole life by way of memories reflections and interactions. I found the story compelling, mainly because of the author's ability to write in great detail about the minutae of Perowne's job or family or uncertainties in such a way as to have me almost always reading something that was both informative and believable. What we get is a profound insight into the creative -but sometimes destructive-tensions between a man and his environment, where once- held certainties are increasingly challenged, and what really matters in Perowne's life is underscored.

• Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...
  • Book Jacket: Sugar Run
    Sugar Run
    by Mesha Maren
    Mesha Maren's debut novel is a plunge into the depths of the dark Southern gothic with pulsing and ...
  • Book Jacket: Code Name Lise
    Code Name Lise
    by Larry Loftis
    Odette Sansom (1912 – 1995), a Frenchwoman married to a British man and living in the English ...
  • Book Jacket: Watch Us Rise
    Watch Us Rise
    by Renee Watson, Ellen Hagen
    Jasmine and Chelsea are about to enter their junior year at New York City's progressive Amsterdam ...

Book Club
Becoming
by Michelle Obama

An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States.

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

Book Club Giveaway!
Win A Place for Us

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A deeply moving and resonant story of love, identity and belonging.

C I Next T G