Reader reviews and comments on Saturday, plus links to write your own review.

Saturday

Apr 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Saturday

Velma

A Master of Writing
Masterful writing! I do not believe that I would have finished this book if it had been written by a less skilled writer. McEwan draws you into an ordinary day for an imaginary character and makes it real. This book would be a real joy for any aspiring writer to study.
Leonard Browne

24 - London style
With every page read we are drawn deeper into the life and world of neurologist Henry Perowne, as Ian McEwan reveals as he penetrates the mind and inner workings of his main character. A highly successful surgeon, with a family he loves dearly, Henry's weekly day of leisure turns out to be anything but. Set in the early months of 2003, on the day of mass anti-war protests in London, McEwan creates a whole life by way of memories reflections and interactions. I found the story compelling, mainly because of the author's ability to write in great detail about the minutae of Perowne's job or family or uncertainties in such a way as to have me almost always reading something that was both informative and believable. What we get is a profound insight into the creative -but sometimes destructive-tensions between a man and his environment, where once- held certainties are increasingly challenged, and what really matters in Perowne's life is underscored.

• Book Jacket: Timekeepers
  • Book Jacket: Mothers of Sparta
    Mothers of Sparta
    by Dawn Davies
    What it's about:
    The tagline on the back cover of Mothers of Sparta says it all: "Some women...
  • Book Jacket: Fortress America
    Fortress America
    by Elaine Tyler May

A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline

From the bestselling author of Orphan Train, a stunning novel of passion and art.

As Bright as Heaven
    by Susan Meissner

A story of a family reborn through loss and love in Philadelphia during the flu epidemic of 1918.

Only Child
    by Rhiannon Navin

Win The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

A gripping novel from the award-winning author of For Today I Am a Boy.

G O T P, B The P, F T P