Reader reviews and comments on Saturday, plus links to write your own review.

Saturday

by Ian McEwan

Saturday by Ian McEwan

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Apr 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Saturday

Velma (08/02/07)

A Master of Writing
Masterful writing! I do not believe that I would have finished this book if it had been written by a less skilled writer. McEwan draws you into an ordinary day for an imaginary character and makes it real. This book would be a real joy for any aspiring writer to study.
Leonard Browne (02/16/06)

24 - London style
With every page read we are drawn deeper into the life and world of neurologist Henry Perowne, as Ian McEwan reveals as he penetrates the mind and inner workings of his main character. A highly successful surgeon, with a family he loves dearly, Henry's weekly day of leisure turns out to be anything but. Set in the early months of 2003, on the day of mass anti-war protests in London, McEwan creates a whole life by way of memories reflections and interactions. I found the story compelling, mainly because of the author's ability to write in great detail about the minutae of Perowne's job or family or uncertainties in such a way as to have me almost always reading something that was both informative and believable. What we get is a profound insight into the creative -but sometimes destructive-tensions between a man and his environment, where once- held certainties are increasingly challenged, and what really matters in Perowne's life is underscored.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Castle of Water
    by Mark Kurlansky
  • Book Jacket: Temporary People
    Temporary People
    by Deepak Unnikrishnan
    In this powerful and innovative collection of 28 short stories, Deepak Unnikrishnan presents a ...

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

If We Were Villains
    by M. L. Rio

When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground.

Y S M B, I'll S Y