Reader reviews and comments on On Hitler's Mountain, plus links to write your own review.

On Hitler's Mountain

Feb 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for On Hitler's Mountain

Kathy Pohlman

Facinating read!
Irmgard's depiction of her life gave me insight into my G Grandmother Pohlmans' life in the Austrian Alps. I'm grateful she was generous enough to share her story. I now have even more respect for German's who found themselves under Hitlers spell and how it could have been any of us, given the same circumstances.
Joan from Arkansas

Watch out America!
I could not put the book down once I started reading!

Thank you Irmgard for giving Americans an insight to just what can happen in America if we don't heed the warnings. We are on the way I am afraid. Every American should read this account! Thank you.
Wanda T. Crow

On Hitler's Mountain, Overcoming the Legacy of a Nazi Childhood
I'm in the middle of your book at present. I can hardly put it down.

I was born in 1933 & my sister in 1934 - Arkansas, U.S.A. I was struck by your close-knit family, as mine was. Your family not really realizing what was going on, but felt compelled to follow their leader. I empathise with your grandparents feelings about your leader. They were very wise, then later proved correct.

Being approximately your age, I was so fearful of my three brothers having to serve in the military. My oldest brother missed it by a few months. After the war he was a pilot and flew supplies to Germany during their reconstruction.

You mentioned in your book being aware of wives waiting for letters from their military husbands. I did the same here and when they didn't get one, they would be so sad. Several of the men in my neighborhood gave up their lives there, as your dad did.

We were across the world from each other, but tended to have some of the same feelings about the war, as little girls.

I'm anxious to finish your book and happy that you survived.
liane gutman

Ill at ease, perched on Hitler's knee.
The book speaks to us, without apologies. It speaks for Irmgard Hunt

Barbara

I can hear my mother's voice
Growing up, I often heard many stories of what it was like growing up in Germany during the Hitler years. In recent years, occasionally someone would say that all Germans knew what was going on and condoned the actions of the Nazi regime. Thankfully, the author duplicates and validates many of the stories I'd always heard from my Mom. Truly interesting and told in a very comfortable style; I'd recommend to anyone who wants a eyewitness view to a troubled time.

• Book Jacket: In Byron's Wake
    In Byron's Wake
    by Miranda Seymour
    It's tempting to think that our age of celebrity worship coupled with the 24-hour news cycle is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Latecomers
    The Latecomers
    by Helen Klein Ross
    The Latecomers is the third novel written by acclaimed author Helen Klein Ross, following What Was ...
  • Book Jacket: The Inflamed Mind
    The Inflamed Mind
    by Edward Bullmore
    It is common knowledge that depression diminishes the quality of sufferers' lives, but few people ...
  • Book Jacket: The Adults
    The Adults
    by Caroline Hulse
    Things have already fallen apart on the first page of The Adults. The novel opens with an emergency ...

Force of Nature
by Jane Harper

As atmospheric, tense, and explosive as her New York Times bestselling debut, The Dry!

At the Wolf's Table
    by Rosella Postorino

The internationally bestselling novel about the women conscripted to be Hitler's food tasters.

Win Uncommon Type

Uncommon Type
by Tom Hanks

Surprising, intelligent, heartwarming, and a must-have for Tom Hanks fans!

Tell I T T M