Reader reviews and comments on Sightseeing, plus links to write your own review.

Sightseeing

Jan 2005, 272 pages

There is 1 reader review for Sightseeing

SqueakyChu

A budding new talent!
I love this collection of stories! My favorites were "Farangs" and "Sightseeing." In "Farangs", the author describes how a young Thai man's attraction to a female American tourist (a farang or foreigner) materializes despite his mother's unhappiness over the situation. It's a look at how different cultures between a man and a woman can both attract and repel. "Sightseeing" is a story in which a young man takes his mother on a vacation trip after learning a startling fact about her health. The "Cockfighter" is the longest story of the collection and the one I liked the least. It's the story of a young Thai girl's watching her dad's success at cockfighting diminish due to a powerful young adversary. I feel that the author does better work when writing in the male voice.

These stories are colorful narratives of young Thai people in their own country but told in a way in which someone from the West can clearly relate. They exude tension, uncertainty, humor, and a genuine feel for dynamics of interpersonal relationships. All of the stories give the feeling of real people in challenging situations. With his fresh, sharp writing, the author gives everyone a most delightful reading experience. Bravo to this new author on his debut book!

• Book Jacket: Trust Exercise
    Trust Exercise
    by Susan Choi
    At face value, Susan Choi's latest release, Trust Exercise, appears to be a familiar story. ...
  • Book Jacket: An American Summer
    An American Summer
    by Alex Kotlowitz
    As a Chicagoan, I've become used to the most common reactions when I'm traveling and tell someone ...
  • Book Jacket: The Sun Is a Compass
    The Sun Is a Compass
    by Caroline Van Hemert
    Caroline Van Hemert fell in love with her future husband, Pat, in 2001, discovering they shared a ...
  • Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...

Courting Mr. Lincoln
    by Louis Bayard

A master storyteller at the height of his powers, delivers a page-turning tale of love, longing, and forbidden possibilities.

D-Day Girls
    by Sarah Rose

The dramatic story of the extraordinary women recruited by Britain's elite spy agency to help pave the way for Allied victory.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Women Rowing North

The instant New York Times bestseller

A guide to wisdom, authenticity, and bliss for women as they age.

A B Penny A T U