Reader reviews and comments on Sightseeing, plus links to write your own review.

Sightseeing

Jan 2005, 272 pages

There is 1 reader review for Sightseeing

SqueakyChu (04/12/05)

A budding new talent!
I love this collection of stories! My favorites were "Farangs" and "Sightseeing." In "Farangs", the author describes how a young Thai man's attraction to a female American tourist (a farang or foreigner) materializes despite his mother's unhappiness over the situation. It's a look at how different cultures between a man and a woman can both attract and repel. "Sightseeing" is a story in which a young man takes his mother on a vacation trip after learning a startling fact about her health. The "Cockfighter" is the longest story of the collection and the one I liked the least. It's the story of a young Thai girl's watching her dad's success at cockfighting diminish due to a powerful young adversary. I feel that the author does better work when writing in the male voice.

These stories are colorful narratives of young Thai people in their own country but told in a way in which someone from the West can clearly relate. They exude tension, uncertainty, humor, and a genuine feel for dynamics of interpersonal relationships. All of the stories give the feeling of real people in challenging situations. With his fresh, sharp writing, the author gives everyone a most delightful reading experience. Bravo to this new author on his debut book!

• Book Jacket: Pachinko
    Lincoln in the Bardo
    by George Saunders

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library

K Your F C