Reader reviews and comments on The News from Paraguay, plus links to write your own review.

The News from Paraguay

by Lily Tuck

The News from Paraguay

May 2004, 285 pages
    Dec 2004, 272 pages

There is 1 reader review for The News from Paraguay

Buck (12/27/04)

I lived in Paraguay for a year as an exchange student. The period of the 1800s, from the xenophobic dictator Dr. Francia through the Lopez father and son presidencies and the attempt at empire that resulted in the War of the Triple Alliance fascinated me since then.

There were elements of Ms. Tuck's novel that I thoroughly enjoyed, although I think that she paints almost every male character as being led through life by his gonads.

I was embarrassed for the author and publisher by the stunning amount of mistakes in the Spanish in the book. It's obvious that Ms. Tuck speaks French and unfortunately the Spanish she uses in the book is full of French accent marks, French words, etc. Many of the character names, both first names and last names, are not ones that are found, as spelled, in Spanish. It make it hard for me to work through the book.

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review