Reader reviews and comments on The Darling, plus links to write your own review.

The Darling

Oct 2005, 416 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Darling

KBrittain

Exactly that,Review
I will respectfully disagree with the above review. I think the book is very well written,and much can be learned from a story like this. Learning about the history in South Africa, places involved in the conflict that is continuing to this day is a eye-opening experience.

The sympathy the writer has for the animals left behind, the unthinkable that happens to the women and children is horrifying .A wife is made to stand by and watch her husband be killed? I won't say how,but it is a well written.

I couldn't put the book down!
R. Beckham

What happened to Russell Banks?
I kept ploughing through this book, assuming it would eventually, at some point, have to get better, in the sense that it could not continue to get embarrassingly worse, and perhaps it was all a trick. A secret to be revealed later.

But it continued to get embarrassingly worse. The characters are not credible, the plot is not credible, the dialogue is excruciating. It is painful to read, and makes the reader sorry for the author, who surely must be embarrassed by it himself. It is the kind of book that you want to destroy when you are finished, so that no one else might be tempted to start reading it.

Whatever happened to Russell Banks? Was this book written as an experiment by a middle school class?

• Book Jacket: A Ladder to the Sky
    A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne
    Of our 44 First Impression readers, 32 gave A Ladder to the Sky a four- or five-star review for an ...
  • Book Jacket: In Extremis
    And The Ocean Was Our Sky
    by Patrick Ness

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance