Reader reviews and comments on Outside Valentine, plus links to write your own review.

Outside Valentine

Aug 2005, 320 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Outside Valentine

Diana

Astounding!
This is a story that reached out and touched my heart. I cried, laughed, was frightened, and felt love with this book. Ward really knew what she was writing. This book was exhilarating to the mind and to the soul. Reading this book was the best thing I've done and accomplished in my life so far. I would read this book over and over again. Bravo!
Jenna Blum

I was the fiction editor at AGNI magazine when an excerpt from Liza Ward's OUTSIDE VALENTINE crossed my desk, and it raised the goosebumps on my arm that signify a true and unusual new talent. I told my senior editor that we had to snap up the story--one of the segments of the novel featuring Caril Ann Fugate's voice--right away, and he agreed--but it was too late. Luckily, Ms. Ward gave us another excerpt, which we did publish. I was delighted to see the novel subsequently appear and receive such superlative reviews, which it certainly deserves. Caril Ann in particular, with her extraordinary diction and painful wistfulness, is a marvel of a character. As a novelist myself, I take my hat off to Liza Ward & will be watching eagerly for her next book.
Albert Goldbarth

THis book has a tendency toward the not only melodramatic, but simplified understanding of lower class America that stems from obvious wealth. I think the author has obviously driven a hard point home about research: It doesn't always pay to know the facts if the knowledge of human experience is one which cannot hear the pulse of its character. Risk sentimentality, one poet said, or you're not risking anything.

• Book Jacket: Circe
    by Anjali Sachdeva
  • Book Jacket: Look Alive Out There
    Look Alive Out There
    by Sloane Crosley
    After a brief (and thoroughly enjoyable) foray into fiction (with her 2015 novel The Clasp), Sloane ...
  • Book Jacket: Winter Sisters
    Winter Sisters
    by Robin Oliveira
    Winter Sisters begins with an epic blizzard (see Beyond the Book) hitting the entire Northeast of ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes