Reader reviews and comments on Outside Valentine, plus links to write your own review.

Outside Valentine

Aug 2005, 320 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Outside Valentine

Diana

Astounding!
This is a story that reached out and touched my heart. I cried, laughed, was frightened, and felt love with this book. Ward really knew what she was writing. This book was exhilarating to the mind and to the soul. Reading this book was the best thing I've done and accomplished in my life so far. I would read this book over and over again. Bravo!
Jenna Blum

I was the fiction editor at AGNI magazine when an excerpt from Liza Ward's OUTSIDE VALENTINE crossed my desk, and it raised the goosebumps on my arm that signify a true and unusual new talent. I told my senior editor that we had to snap up the story--one of the segments of the novel featuring Caril Ann Fugate's voice--right away, and he agreed--but it was too late. Luckily, Ms. Ward gave us another excerpt, which we did publish. I was delighted to see the novel subsequently appear and receive such superlative reviews, which it certainly deserves. Caril Ann in particular, with her extraordinary diction and painful wistfulness, is a marvel of a character. As a novelist myself, I take my hat off to Liza Ward & will be watching eagerly for her next book.
Albert Goldbarth

THis book has a tendency toward the not only melodramatic, but simplified understanding of lower class America that stems from obvious wealth. I think the author has obviously driven a hard point home about research: It doesn't always pay to know the facts if the knowledge of human experience is one which cannot hear the pulse of its character. Risk sentimentality, one poet said, or you're not risking anything.

• Book Jacket: We Set the Dark on Fire
    We Set the Dark on Fire
    by Tehlor Mejia
    On the island of Medio, a wall separates the wealthy elite from those less fortunate who lack the ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Leopard, Red Wolf
    Black Leopard, Red Wolf
    by Marlon James
    If you are looking for an indulgent, escapist fantasy, Black Leopard, Red Wolf may not be for you. ...
  • Book Jacket: That Time I Loved You
    That Time I Loved You
    by Carianne Leung
    Carrianne Leung was a Toronto Book Award finalist for That Time I Loved You as well as for her debut...
  • Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!