Reader reviews and comments on Shadow Divers, plus links to write your own review.

Shadow Divers

The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II

by Robert Kurson

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson X
Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

Jun 2004, 400 pages
    May 2005, 400 pages

There are currently 7 reader reviews for Shadow Divers

Gail L.

Shadow Divers
Shadow Divers is a wonderful book about two Americans who have a passion for diving; specifically wreck diving. They found a U-boat off the coast of New Jersey and helped solve a mystery that had lingered since World War II. A fantastic read; a great writer and if you aren't a diver, you will learn so much interesting information about it. I highly recommend this book to anyone--even if you aren't into diving.
Selene Booklover

Shadow Divers
I thought this book was great. It was engrossing from page 1. I have given it as gifts to a few friends who are strictly nonfiction readers, and they loved it as well. After reading a couple of the above reviews, and being a nondiver, I will just state that the arrogance of the authors noted above, is not evident to us nondivers. I was just remarkably impressed by their expertise and tenacity.
Lonnie Johnson

I am the type of person that doesn't read books often, and when I do, if they don't "grab" me soon, I don't finish them. I couldn't put this book down. I like stories that are true, and when they become more fascinating than fiction, then it becomes riveting. A great book, I've actually picked it up and read a few parts over again and I just finished it two days ago.
Firebrand

As a newly certified diver, I read this book with great interest. Those brave men and women who perform deep sea wreck dives and survive are the elite of the diving community, and have the right to doubt the countless divers who never dive beyond the recreational limits. They've earned it by putting their lives on the line in the quest for knowledge. Shadow Divers is a rare find where the real life action is better than any fictional work on the subject. John Chatterton and Richie Kohler are, in my mind, masters of their craft, who do what most men wouldn't; they never give up. That dedication has lead to very intersting lives, and Shadow Divers accurately portrays how history is often recorded incorrectly. What defines the chararacter of John Chatterton and Richie Kohler is not what they do 230 feet below the surface, but what they do with the knowledge they gain from the U-Who. The surviving family members of the lost German submariners can finally have peace knowing what happened to their loved ones, thanks to these two men's dedication. An absolute superb read for anyone intersted in American History.
TMc

The book is a well written real lfe adventure. The fist chapters are full of technical detail and read slow. Afted they find the sub the adventure begins, you'll not want to put the book down.
SMPhl

When I first started to read this book, I was put off as well by the arrogance of the ship wreck diver mentality...If you're not diving at 200+ feet, you are a tourist -not a diver! But GET OVER IT or you are missing a truly original, meticulously researched and incredibly well written true account that you will be thinking about for some time.
Ed Sherman

This book is interesting because of the diving adventure, however, either the author or divers he interviewed shot the ultimate insult to millions of recreational divers throughout the world. Either the author, Chatterton or Kohler felt they had reached the pinnacle of diving and from that tower they looked down upon, and scoffed at other divers, who in thier estimation were not sitting on the right hand of Posiedon or Neptune...the every-day recreational divers who continue to be proud of their "mundane" exploits underwater. The author made those divers feel as though they were "sissy britches" divers because they can not dive wrecks at depths of 250 feet. Same on him! No--SHAME ON HIM!
Ed Sherman in South Carolina
Diving since 1948

• Book Jacket: Rust & Stardust
    Rust & Stardust
    by T Greenwood
    Highly readable and tightly plotted, T. Greenwood's Rust and Stardust achieves the perfect ...
  • Book Jacket: American Prison
    American Prison
    by Shane Bauer
    After spending over two years in Iran's notorious Evin Prison for supposedly crossing the country's ...
  • Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...

The Winter Soldier by Daniel Mason

A story of war and medicine, of family, of finding love in the sweeping tides of history, and of the mistakes we make.

French Exit
    by Patrick deWitt

A brilliant and darkly comic novel from bestselling author Patrick deWitt.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter