Reader reviews and comments on Shadow Divers, plus links to write your own review.

Shadow Divers

The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II

by Robert Kurson

Jun 2004, 400 pages
    May 2005, 400 pages

There are currently 7 reader reviews for Shadow Divers

Gail L. (11/21/10)

Shadow Divers
Shadow Divers is a wonderful book about two Americans who have a passion for diving; specifically wreck diving. They found a U-boat off the coast of New Jersey and helped solve a mystery that had lingered since World War II. A fantastic read; a great writer and if you aren't a diver, you will learn so much interesting information about it. I highly recommend this book to anyone--even if you aren't into diving.
Selene Booklover (05/05/05)

Shadow Divers
I thought this book was great. It was engrossing from page 1. I have given it as gifts to a few friends who are strictly nonfiction readers, and they loved it as well. After reading a couple of the above reviews, and being a nondiver, I will just state that the arrogance of the authors noted above, is not evident to us nondivers. I was just remarkably impressed by their expertise and tenacity.
Lonnie Johnson (02/26/05)

I am the type of person that doesn't read books often, and when I do, if they don't "grab" me soon, I don't finish them. I couldn't put this book down. I like stories that are true, and when they become more fascinating than fiction, then it becomes riveting. A great book, I've actually picked it up and read a few parts over again and I just finished it two days ago.
Firebrand (12/28/04)

As a newly certified diver, I read this book with great interest. Those brave men and women who perform deep sea wreck dives and survive are the elite of the diving community, and have the right to doubt the countless divers who never dive beyond the recreational limits. They've earned it by putting their lives on the line in the quest for knowledge. Shadow Divers is a rare find where the real life action is better than any fictional work on the subject. John Chatterton and Richie Kohler are, in my mind, masters of their craft, who do what most men wouldn't; they never give up. That dedication has lead to very intersting lives, and Shadow Divers accurately portrays how history is often recorded incorrectly. What defines the chararacter of John Chatterton and Richie Kohler is not what they do 230 feet below the surface, but what they do with the knowledge they gain from the U-Who. The surviving family members of the lost German submariners can finally have peace knowing what happened to their loved ones, thanks to these two men's dedication. An absolute superb read for anyone intersted in American History.
TMc (12/16/04)

The book is a well written real lfe adventure. The fist chapters are full of technical detail and read slow. Afted they find the sub the adventure begins, you'll not want to put the book down.
SMPhl (11/06/04)

When I first started to read this book, I was put off as well by the arrogance of the ship wreck diver mentality...If you're not diving at 200+ feet, you are a tourist -not a diver! But GET OVER IT or you are missing a truly original, meticulously researched and incredibly well written true account that you will be thinking about for some time.
Ed Sherman (10/18/04)

This book is interesting because of the diving adventure, however, either the author or divers he interviewed shot the ultimate insult to millions of recreational divers throughout the world. Either the author, Chatterton or Kohler felt they had reached the pinnacle of diving and from that tower they looked down upon, and scoffed at other divers, who in thier estimation were not sitting on the right hand of Posiedon or Neptune...the every-day recreational divers who continue to be proud of their "mundane" exploits underwater. The author made those divers feel as though they were "sissy britches" divers because they can not dive wrecks at depths of 250 feet. Same on him! No--SHAME ON HIM!
Ed Sherman in South Carolina

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All