Reader reviews and comments on Colossus, plus links to write your own review.

Colossus

Apr 2005, 400 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Colossus

Bill Davice

A curate's egg
An enjoyable but annoying read that lays claim to being an historical work whilst adopting the less demanding techniques of journalism. At times, the research base is magnificent. But there are some breathtakingly shallow dismissals of opposing positions that owe more to the author's presuppositions than to any evidence that he presents. Seeing Eisenhower/Dulles as typical of America's presidential attitude to Israel is inadequate, as is his sweeping disregard for aid organisations as an alternative to military adventures.
John

Although the big suprise of 'Colossus' does indeed come with its promotion of American imperialism, one gets the feeling that Ferguson has discarded his professional objectivity for the sake of a little controversy. Taking an unlikely stance on a topic and gathering statistics to support you is not as difficult as it may seem, but will gain Ferguson little academic acclaim. His eclectic take on the US' overseas adventures and scathing dismissal of one of the finest historians of our time will not go unmissed by those with a real interest in international affairs.

• Book Jacket: That Time I Loved You
    That Time I Loved You
    by Carianne Leung
    Carrianne Leung was a Toronto Book Award finalist for That Time I Loved You as well as for her debut...
  • Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

The Last Year of the War
    by Susan Meissner

A little-known story of WWII with great resonance for our times.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!