Reader reviews and comments on Consuming Kids, plus links to write your own review.

Consuming Kids

Aug 2005, 304 pages

There is 1 reader review for Consuming Kids

Mari LaFore

Scare Tactics
As the mother of two grown children, I find Ms.Lynn's book to be propagana at it's best. It insults the intelligence of any parent and any child who is not totally gullible. Children are attracted to toys and books of their favorite characters and always have been. The vast majority of parents don't give in to every whim of their children and do screen what they play with and watch. My children were exposed to shows like Sesame Street every day. We have a collection of the show's books, and we also have the Care Bears that they dearly loved as children. We will pass on this memorabilia to their grandchildren someday. I'm surprised she didn't attack Mr. Rogers too. My family own some of his albums and a nice collectors book of his tv episodes.Let's look at adults who feel compelled to buy junky souvenirs at football games and swill down junk food and beers in front of the eyes of the younger audiences at these events.Come on...let' lay blame on the right parties. Sure the advertising agencies are out to sell their products, that is why they advertise and to accuse them of targeting age groups for their vulnerabilities is immoral. Advertising is a game and we all are participants. For Lynn to go spying at an ad conference shows her lack of conscience and morals so maybe she should to take heed to what the Bible says about judging others lest we wish to be judged ourselves.

• Book Jacket: Southernmost
    Southernmost
    by Silas House
    Southernmost opens with a devastating flood in Cumberland Valley, Tennessee. Could it be divine ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of the Fox
    Confessions of the Fox
    by Jordy Rosenberg
    In Confessions of the Fox, a fictional academic, Dr. Voth, finds a manuscript in the library where ...
  • Book Jacket: Tango Lessons
    Tango Lessons
    by Meghan Flaherty
    Meghan Flaherty's touching memoir, Tango Lessons, reveals some hard but important truths about ...
    The Almost Sisters
    Joshilyn Jackson's The Almost Sisters is a powerful look at the intersection of privilege, family, ...

The Radium Girls by Kate Moore

The incredible true story of the women who fought America's Undark danger.

Meet Me at the Museum
    by Anne Youngson

A celebration of letters, kindred spirits and writing a new story for yourself.

So Much Life Left Over
    by Louis de Bernieres

An evocative and emotional novel set between the World Wars.

Fly Girls
    by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Win Vox

VOX by Christina Dalcher

The story of what one woman will do to protect herself and her daughter in a society where half the population is silenced.

T B Y Speak