Reader reviews and comments on Consuming Kids, plus links to write your own review.

Consuming Kids

Aug 2005, 304 pages

There is 1 reader review for Consuming Kids

Mari LaFore (10/09/08)

Scare Tactics
As the mother of two grown children, I find Ms.Lynn's book to be propagana at it's best. It insults the intelligence of any parent and any child who is not totally gullible. Children are attracted to toys and books of their favorite characters and always have been. The vast majority of parents don't give in to every whim of their children and do screen what they play with and watch. My children were exposed to shows like Sesame Street every day. We have a collection of the show's books, and we also have the Care Bears that they dearly loved as children. We will pass on this memorabilia to their grandchildren someday. I'm surprised she didn't attack Mr. Rogers too. My family own some of his albums and a nice collectors book of his tv episodes.Let's look at adults who feel compelled to buy junky souvenirs at football games and swill down junk food and beers in front of the eyes of the younger audiences at these events.Come on...let' lay blame on the right parties. Sure the advertising agencies are out to sell their products, that is why they advertise and to accuse them of targeting age groups for their vulnerabilities is immoral. Advertising is a game and we all are participants. For Lynn to go spying at an ad conference shows her lack of conscience and morals so maybe she should to take heed to what the Bible says about judging others lest we wish to be judged ourselves.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti
  • Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    So Say the Fallen
    by Stuart Neville

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.