Reader reviews and comments on The Amateur Marriage, plus links to write your own review.

The Amateur Marriage

by Anne Tyler

The Amateur Marriage

Jan 2004, 320 pages
    Oct 2004, 336 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Amateur Marriage

countrygirl (08/18/04)

Anne Tyler just keeps getting better and better. The Amateur Marriage is a sometimes painful, sometimes sad, sometimes funny look into the marriage of Pauline and Michael Anton, a mismatched couple who endure a 30-year union. What I most like about Anne Tyler is that she makes us realize through her characters that we are all flawed human beings, but that is what makes us lovable. This book has a darker feel to it than her other novels, but that is inherent in exploring the subject matter of a bad marriage. Oddly though, I didn't find the book depressing. What this book has in common with Tyler's other work is that is shows how we endure life's tragedies and find a way to carry on, and I find that uplifing.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti
  • Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    So Say the Fallen
    by Stuart Neville

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.