Reader reviews and comments on The Amateur Marriage, plus links to write your own review.

The Amateur Marriage

by Anne Tyler

The Amateur Marriage

Jan 2004, 320 pages
    Oct 2004, 336 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Amateur Marriage

countrygirl (08/18/04)

Anne Tyler just keeps getting better and better. The Amateur Marriage is a sometimes painful, sometimes sad, sometimes funny look into the marriage of Pauline and Michael Anton, a mismatched couple who endure a 30-year union. What I most like about Anne Tyler is that she makes us realize through her characters that we are all flawed human beings, but that is what makes us lovable. This book has a darker feel to it than her other novels, but that is inherent in exploring the subject matter of a bad marriage. Oddly though, I didn't find the book depressing. What this book has in common with Tyler's other work is that is shows how we endure life's tragedies and find a way to carry on, and I find that uplifing.

The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
    In the Country of Men
    by Hisham Matar
  • Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    Holding Up the Universe
    by Jennifer Niven

Our wisdom comes from our experience, and our experience comes from our foolishness

The Big Holiday Wordplay: