What readers think of Slave, plus links to write your own review.

Slave

Jun 2005, 352 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Slave

Marceline

Moving, pure inspiration.
'Slave' the book is a bird's eye view of a sad, brutal life which was lived by a innocent child/adult. This book is not only life changing but is the scary inside life of the slave trade and servers, feral act of racism and a extraordinary vow to survive from Mendi.
Krystle

AMAZING!
I read Slave for my semester book report. I have no idea why I chose this book, I was just drawn to it, but I'm extremely glad I read it. Slave is one of the best books I have ever read (and I read a lot) It is an eye opener that modern slavery does exist and people are still treated as possessions this book is a must read! Best book ever! (I couldn't stop reading until I finished it)
Nicholas Walling

inspiring
Slave is just a book that will inspire you, broaden your knowledge, make you want to do something, and make you realize just how cruel this world really is.
Gai Mawut

Shame the devil
Many books have been written about Sudanese civil wars and ensuing sufferings of the civilians under NIF , but non has ever captured the true magnitude of the suffering than the Slave . I have just finished reading it , but while I was reading I kept on crying and cursing at the same time . I am a Sudanese who has closely seen all this deadly hate, but I was very moved by hearing the same from another witness like me and who have suffered a lot more in the hands of our enemies . After reading Mende's story , I am left with a lot of questions and doubts of possibility of peace between Arabs and the Africans. While Africans tend to have hearts for unity , Arabs' attitudes towards non Arabs and Muslims would never make things easier .

Mende, if you could read this , I am proud of you and your courage to tell your story . It's OUR story and it has opened people's eyes to the sufferings of the Africans in Sudan . May God bless you and inspire you some more to stand up for the cause of Human society .
Angela

Touching
When I read this book I was only 13. I had gone shopping with my mom for my birthday and stopped into the bookstore. It drew my attention because I love biographies. It was hard for me, my brother is the same age as her and all I could think about is that my brother is in America and doing just fine, but this girl almost my age being tormented by her own people. I cried during this book. After reading it I wanted to learn more about the slavery in Sudan so I researched it. It is just wrong what Mende went through. I love you Mende and good luck with the future. This writer is still thirteen.
Siun

I was deeply affected by Mende's book. Once I started reading it I could not put it down and read it late into the night. She is a courageous young lady, and whilst reading this book, i wanted to put my arms around her and give her comfort and protect her from the appalling cruelty shown to her. Growing up in Ireland in the 70's, I thought we had it hard - compared to this , we lived and do live like lords. Her deep appreciation for the most simple things in life, should be a lesson to us all. Well done Mende, you achieved what you needed to with this book, and should be proud.
vicky

sad,touching and heart broken
When I read this book I was only 14 years age. This book has inspired me a lot because of the way this book was written and the difficulties that Mende has to go through. When I first read this book I thought I was there with Mende feeling her pain as mine own pain too. I never thought people can do this things to other Human being. I mean human are human and we are all the same it just that we as human we judged each other by the way look and colour we have. I wish Mende the best for her future wish her best luck to find what she is looking for and unite with her family....
This book has touch me and its a heart broken story to read of what Mende went through. Its the best book I have ever read.... I will never forget the pain of the book and Mende. I will pray for You Mende good luck. Vicky 15 years of age.
Sian Otimi

Slave
I was really enjoyed this book, it gave me insight of whats going on in Sudan, and how Arabs look down on black coloured people.

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: The Women of Chateau Lafayette
    The Women of Chateau Lafayette
    by Stephanie Dray
    The Women of Chateau Lafayette, Stephanie Dray's latest work of historical fiction, revolves around ...
  • Book Jacket: Windhall
    Windhall
    by Ava Barry
    Ava Barry's debut mystery novel Windhall is centered around the salacious murder of a starlet named ...
  • Book Jacket: Libertie
    Libertie
    by Kaitlyn Greenidge
    Kaitlyn Greenidge burst onto the literary scene in 2016 with her award-winning novel, We Love You, ...
    Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982
    by Cho Nam-joo, Jamie Chang
    'Kim Jiyoung is thirty-three years old, thirty-four Korean age. She got married three years ago and ...

Raft of Stars
    by Andrew J. Graff

A timeless story of loss, hope, and adventure set against the vividly rendered landscape of the Upper Midwest.

The Widow Queen
    by Elzbieta Cherezinska

The epic story of an 11th century Polish queen whose life and name were all but forgotten until now.

The Mountains Sing
by Nguyen Phan Que Mai
Winner of the 2020 BookBrowse Debut Novel Award: A multi-generational tale set in Viet Nam.
Win This Book!
Win The Beauty of Your Face

A New York Times Notable Book of 2020

"Stunning.… A timely family saga with faith and forgiveness at its core."
Marie Claire