Reader reviews and comments on The Pleasure of My Company, plus links to write your own review.

The Pleasure of My Company

by Steve Martin

The Pleasure of My Company

Oct 2003, 163 pages
    Oct 2004, 163 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Pleasure of My Company

Shelly (07/21/11)

Gets you thinking
When you dream at night and your mind makes up these odd scenarios in your head it seems normal, but Daniel makes them up in the daytime about bystanders and people who frequent into his life. He overcomes many things that trap him into that world and the ending will surprise you.
Robert Natale (01/10/05)

Most disappointing-----particularly after the promise held by his last effort. This was pap---pure and simple. So very trite, so very obvious, so very contrived. You'll be let down.
Adelle (03/06/04)

This book was wonderful. I laughed so hard so many times. I felt the emotions of Daniel. He was sweet, funny, strange - All in one. I was truly sad that this book had to end...

Everyone needs to read this book!
Scott Wampler (12/21/03)

THE PLEASURE OF MY COMPANY, Steve Martin's second almost-full-length novel, is even better than the one that preceded it, SHOPGIRL. It tells the story of a man whose sicknesses and psychological conditions render him paralyzed against leaving his small apartment, and he ends up starting a relationship with the female nurse, Clarissa, who comes by to check on him.

I thought the book was funny as hell throughout, but I wasn't expecting such heartfelt moments. These don't all occur at the end, either, but throughout the book, providing a balance to the hilarious stuff.

I particularly liked the dream sequence where out protaganist hallucinates/dreams about a group of flying mimes who visit him with peanut butter. This scene also contains a cameo by none other than Tony Danza, which certainly wasn't expected. I'm not sure that Mr. Danza would appreciate the light in which he appears in the scene (as the cruel, hemmorhoid-afflicted leader of the mimes with a set of Mickey Mouse ears perched atop his head), but it is comedy, after all, and I'm sure Mr. Danza has a good sense of humor about these kinds of things.

I would strongly recommend THE PLEASURE OF MY COMPANY to anyone who enjoyed Mr. Martin's previous novel, and especially to anyone looking for a light, funny read.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    by Brit Bennett

by Paulette Jiles

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.