MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing, plus links to write your own review.

The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing

by Melissa Bank

The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing

Jun 1999, 274 pages
    May 2000, 288 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing

Batti (07/18/09)

The Girls' Guide to Hunting & Fishing
I loved reading it. I am 50 and been married for almost 30 years and yet I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's for anybody regardless of their age or situation, I believe. I cannot wait to get my hands on "The Wonder Spot".
Amber (09/25/06)

The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing.
This book was ok. I enjoyed it until it switched to that crazy chapter about Nina, which was completely confusing because it too was written in first person. It seemed pointless to the story of Jane, and there were all these charaters, and their story just stops. Weird.
After that chapter, I knew if I put the book down, I'd never finish it. So I kept reading until the book was completed.
Lauren Hanley (12/30/04)

I find Melissa Bank's novel as comforting as a post breakup bowl of ice cream. I see alot of myself in the storys of Jane when she was younger. I too still have a lot to learn about life seeing as I am only 17. I've read the book about 23 times, but my favortie story is You Could Be Anyone because you can put yourself in that sitution and I have thought myslef of a couple of the one-liners including "In a restaurant, he notices a gaggle of girl models. "It's like looking at art. The rest of us are just people," he says, "We know we're not beautiful the way they are."(212) Its my favorite book, I own two copies.
kelly (08/25/04)

I truly enjoyed this book. A few of the stories were quite exceptional but I most enjoyed the ones involving the older man. Bank writes sharply and I found myself often wondering how she came up with so many of the clever phrases she wrote. I appreciate how little description and setting she writes into the stories. It takes a good writer to be able to give the reader such perfect pieces to a person or situation and still be to put it together clearly. The story entitled "The Best Possible Light" seemed a little out of place and was the only story that didn't seem to flow with the smart and painful grace that the others did. I definetly see a Lorrie Moore influence, and to me that is wonderful because I think she is the best.
nora (08/21/04)

There's no denying we've all experienced every thought, feeling, embarassment, yearning, sadness and elation that Jane has. A light, humorous and moving account of every young woman's life. If you like finishing a book with a smile on your face, here's a good candidate read.
Julien (07/06/03)

This book deserves much more than the 'Bridget Jones' reference - this one is a piece of art. It is written with a style (light to read but so dense in unspoken content) that belongs to American classics, and echoes far beyond the story of the young woman itself. The first chapter, about teenage, is pure delight. Bank is witty and a true artist, she makes me long for more written works.
Brandee (12/26/02)

I have read this book like eight times! I want to know if she has written anything else!
Eidolon (08/06/02)

Light and funny in a Bridget Jones-ey kind of way. A good read for the modern single woman.

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T