Reader reviews and comments on The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing, plus links to write your own review.

The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing

May 2000, 288 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing

Batti

The Girls' Guide to Hunting & Fishing
I loved reading it. I am 50 and been married for almost 30 years and yet I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's for anybody regardless of their age or situation, I believe. I cannot wait to get my hands on "The Wonder Spot".
Lauren Hanley

I find Melissa Bank's novel as comforting as a post breakup bowl of ice cream. I see alot of myself in the storys of Jane when she was younger. I too still have a lot to learn about life seeing as I am only 17. I've read the book about 23 times, but my favortie story is You Could Be Anyone because you can put yourself in that sitution and I have thought myslef of a couple of the one-liners including "In a restaurant, he notices a gaggle of girl models. "It's like looking at art. The rest of us are just people," he says, "We know we're not beautiful the way they are."(212) Its my favorite book, I own two copies.
nora

There's no denying we've all experienced every thought, feeling, embarassment, yearning, sadness and elation that Jane has. A light, humorous and moving account of every young woman's life. If you like finishing a book with a smile on your face, here's a good candidate read.
Julien

This book deserves much more than the 'Bridget Jones' reference - this one is a piece of art. It is written with a style (light to read but so dense in unspoken content) that belongs to American classics, and echoes far beyond the story of the young woman itself. The first chapter, about teenage, is pure delight. Bank is witty and a true artist, she makes me long for more written works.
Brandee

I have read this book like eight times! I want to know if she has written anything else!
Eidolon

Light and funny in a Bridget Jones-ey kind of way. A good read for the modern single woman.
Shannon

I couldn't put it down.
kelly

I truly enjoyed this book. A few of the stories were quite exceptional but I most enjoyed the ones involving the older man. Bank writes sharply and I found myself often wondering how she came up with so many of the clever phrases she wrote. I appreciate how little description and setting she writes into the stories. It takes a good writer to be able to give the reader such perfect pieces to a person or situation and still be to put it together clearly. The story entitled "The Best Possible Light" seemed a little out of place and was the only story that didn't seem to flow with the smart and painful grace that the others did. I definetly see a Lorrie Moore influence, and to me that is wonderful because I think she is the best.

• Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...
  • Book Jacket: Sugar Run
    Sugar Run
    by Mesha Maren
    Mesha Maren's debut novel is a plunge into the depths of the dark Southern gothic with pulsing and ...

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!