Reader reviews and comments on Eragon, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book I

by Christopher Paolini

Aug 2003, 528 pages
    Apr 2005, 500 pages

There are currently 298 reader reviews for Eragon

zero (02/29/16)

awesome
No words can describe how awesome this book and the series is!
dragon ball z chaos28 (11/21/15)

Eragon
The books in this cycle are the best books I have ever read
john (03/27/13)

amazing
This book is amazing. All who say otherwise are foolish.
me (09/07/12)

Eragon Review
This is my favorite book of all time but I still don't understand why you compare it TO FREAKING LOTR....... seriously Eragon is much better/
Waldow (02/14/12)

Amazing Book!!
This is such a great book! It's perfect for people who enjoy fantasy action books!!!!!
SkywardDreams (01/20/12)

Well Done
Mr. Christopher Paolini did extraordinary on his first book, I must say. A beautiful world inspired by one of the most revered classics...I won't say it's a copy, more a....reincarnation, one might say? of J. R. Tolkien's fantasy realm. The industrial cities of the humans, the underground kingdom of the dwarfs, the ethereal realms of the elves....It reminds me, yet one can't really peg Mr. Paolini as unoriginal.

The dwindling might of the dragons, the courage and idealism of young Eragon... I must say, very very nicely done. The way he portrayed magic, fighting skills, and intelligence of Eragon might have been cliche, but completely predictable. And the plot was well-woven together, as well...

Perhaps my favorite part is the writing style. Simple, yet elegant, with extravagant phrasing and 'bombastic' words. Easily understood with polite, almost medieval phrasing...Yes, I enjoyed it very much.

Points off for slight awkwardness and cliche, although it's to be expected from a novice writer. Perhaps the story moved along rather sluggishly, as well.

However, over all I say it is most definitely worth the read! A very good book.
Dudester (01/18/12)

Eragon is AWESOME!!!
A perfect book made by a perfect kid for the perfect person who wants it. Great job, Paolini!
MisaMisaEK (12/07/11)

rolls eyes at reviewer
So, A. Kordan calls Eragon a "Lousy novel" and continues to say "Anyone who enjoys this book has obviously not read any literature that has a point." How old would you be Jordan...? 12? Yeah, that seems to be good enough age, because then I would be able to forgive you for your redundancies. Compared to the other three, Eragon was the worst, but that's because it gets better and better. Authors come out with series because fans will read it and he will in turn make more money. It the way the world works, so coming up with a prediction as weak as that one, when in the 3rd book, the main characters vow to destroy the villain, shows your stupidity. As I recall, Paolini was 15 when he wrote it, and I'd like to see you have 3 best sellers. I can't stand people who show they're disdain for something they can't do. It's one thing if someone can't sing and you call them on it, but its a complete other thing when you insult that singer because of it. When you write a best selling novel about a boy and his dragon, and it does better than Paolini, then I'll consider what you wrote in a more positive light. Until then, go back to school and read other books.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: