Reader reviews and comments on Our Lady of The Forest, plus links to write your own review.

Our Lady of The Forest

by David Guterson

Our Lady of The Forest by David Guterson X
Our Lady of The Forest by David Guterson

Sep 2003, 336 pages
    Jul 2004, 336 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Our Lady of The Forest

marian hunter

Our Lady of The Forest is a diamond amongst dross. The writer, David Guterson, a wonderful wordsmith and talented storyteller, with a keen insight into the restless fears in every one of us. I recognised every one of his carefully drawn characters, they surround me in my daily life. His adept acknowledgment of human weakness and our hopes for redemption is well placed in Our Lady of The Forest. Highly recommend this book and avidly await David Guterson's next work.

The narrator has taken pain to depict the life of a ptagonist which comes from the class of the people having colourful dreams in the eyes and the hard realities on the road. Every reader wanyts to be idintified with such charecter in which he/she visualises his/her own story. It's a book one must have it on his/her bookself.
boston reader

First I thought: who wants to read about an asthmatic, mushroom-picking waif masturbating in a rain sodden glen next to a god forsaken logging town? But then, Guterson pulls you into a Marian legend of lost souls: Ann Holmes, the visionary run-away, Tom Cross the abusive, failed logger, Christine Greer the skeptical opportunist, & Don Collins the sincerely fallible priest. Testifying to homelessness midst the modern trashing of environment and spirit, Gutterson passionately addresses our thirst for religion and redemption For those who applauded Snow Falling on Cedars, and praised East of the Mountain, Our Lady of the Foreest succeeds in raising questions about why are we here and where are we going. This is a story of a 21st pilgrimage that, like the Olympic Rain Forest's pervasive moss, will grow on you.
Laurita Fernandez

In the beginning of the book, at first I found it entertaining. On page 83 the first paragraph someone shouted, a football comment these guys better get a "nigger" a running back like all the good teams got these days. Continued on, If the Boz had been a big fast "nigger" maybe the Hawks could have been in the super bowl. "Nigger's can't throw anyway someone said. I am an African American. And there was a part you had spoken about that was very appalling. You must be very sensitive to your readers. When you spoke about the girl menstruating I thought it was unnecessary .I found the book to be somewhat confusing. Your writing about the virgin Mary however, your cussing and your characters are speaking against God. I realize that you are trying to capture your audience. Please respect God and the virgin Mary and all people of color.

Try as I may I couldn't care about any of these characters. Most books have a good guy to like or side with!
One needs a dictionary on the side while reading and someone should tell Guteson about the invention of quotation marks.
David Sallen