Reader reviews and comments on She's Not There, plus links to write your own review.

She's Not There

Jul 2003, 320 pages
    Aug 2004, 320 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for She's Not There

Fiona Clancy

I really enjoyed this book and how it with its positive energy it takes you through the painful experience of transexuality.

This is a book of hope. It is somebodies actual life being told. You are left feeling you know the author, that you are old friends. It left me feeling good about life. Jenny has had to do so much to get where she is and yet she still sees the world with a positive outlook.

Truely inspiring.
KRB

James/Jennifer begins telling the story in one role and finishes in quite another. He has amanged to walk the tight rope of maintaining her family and career while changing both his/her basic identity and physical ability.
It is truly an insiders view of the metamorphesis of changing genders. While the person living in the body may not change, the perception of that person changes with the physical changes;how a person reacts to that change of perception can only be told be somebodywho has lived it. While it has taken an enormous amount of courage to stand front and centre and tell this story, it may have required more to have maintained the status quo.
While he has gone no where, everyone who matters to her has had to adapt to an enormous change; that is what this story is really about.
CHARI

While over all the book was well written and highly interesting, I would have liked to have heard more from
her family. I was left with the feeling that the concerns of others and how they felt were not really of importance.
Realizing that the whole issue was about her, there were too many people affected by this change and I felt the author
didn't delve enough into those issues. Quit frankly I found it fairly superficial, I never felt the anguish that the whole
situation had to have created. I was left feeling that the most important issue was her relationship with Richard Russo and
that was more a "guess who I know."

• Book Jacket: In Byron's Wake
    In Byron's Wake
    by Miranda Seymour
    It's tempting to think that our age of celebrity worship coupled with the 24-hour news cycle is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Latecomers
    The Latecomers
    by Helen Klein Ross
    The Latecomers is the third novel written by acclaimed author Helen Klein Ross, following What Was ...
  • Book Jacket: The Inflamed Mind
    The Inflamed Mind
    by Edward Bullmore
    It is common knowledge that depression diminishes the quality of sufferers' lives, but few people ...
  • Book Jacket: The Adults
    The Adults
    by Caroline Hulse
    Things have already fallen apart on the first page of The Adults. The novel opens with an emergency ...

Becoming
by Michelle Obama

An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States.

House of Stone
    by Novuyo Rosa Tshuma

A masterful debut, pulsing with dark humor, that explores the often destructive act of history-making.

Win Uncommon Type

Uncommon Type
by Tom Hanks

Surprising, intelligent, heartwarming, and a must-have for Tom Hanks fans!

Tell I T T M