Reader reviews and comments on She's Not There, plus links to write your own review.

She's Not There

Jul 2003, 320 pages
    Aug 2004, 320 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for She's Not There

Fiona Clancy

I really enjoyed this book and how it with its positive energy it takes you through the painful experience of transexuality.

This is a book of hope. It is somebodies actual life being told. You are left feeling you know the author, that you are old friends. It left me feeling good about life. Jenny has had to do so much to get where she is and yet she still sees the world with a positive outlook.

Truely inspiring.
KRB

James/Jennifer begins telling the story in one role and finishes in quite another. He has amanged to walk the tight rope of maintaining her family and career while changing both his/her basic identity and physical ability.
It is truly an insiders view of the metamorphesis of changing genders. While the person living in the body may not change, the perception of that person changes with the physical changes;how a person reacts to that change of perception can only be told be somebodywho has lived it. While it has taken an enormous amount of courage to stand front and centre and tell this story, it may have required more to have maintained the status quo.
While he has gone no where, everyone who matters to her has had to adapt to an enormous change; that is what this story is really about.
CHARI

While over all the book was well written and highly interesting, I would have liked to have heard more from
her family. I was left with the feeling that the concerns of others and how they felt were not really of importance.
Realizing that the whole issue was about her, there were too many people affected by this change and I felt the author
didn't delve enough into those issues. Quit frankly I found it fairly superficial, I never felt the anguish that the whole
situation had to have created. I was left feeling that the most important issue was her relationship with Richard Russo and
that was more a "guess who I know."

• Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...

Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris

The Comma Queen returns with a buoyant book about language, love, and the wine-dark sea.

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U