Reader reviews and comments on She's Not There, plus links to write your own review.

She's Not There

Jul 2003, 320 pages
    Aug 2004, 320 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for She's Not There

Fiona Clancy

I really enjoyed this book and how it with its positive energy it takes you through the painful experience of transexuality.

This is a book of hope. It is somebodies actual life being told. You are left feeling you know the author, that you are old friends. It left me feeling good about life. Jenny has had to do so much to get where she is and yet she still sees the world with a positive outlook.

Truely inspiring.
KRB

James/Jennifer begins telling the story in one role and finishes in quite another. He has amanged to walk the tight rope of maintaining her family and career while changing both his/her basic identity and physical ability.
It is truly an insiders view of the metamorphesis of changing genders. While the person living in the body may not change, the perception of that person changes with the physical changes;how a person reacts to that change of perception can only be told be somebodywho has lived it. While it has taken an enormous amount of courage to stand front and centre and tell this story, it may have required more to have maintained the status quo.
While he has gone no where, everyone who matters to her has had to adapt to an enormous change; that is what this story is really about.
CHARI

While over all the book was well written and highly interesting, I would have liked to have heard more from
her family. I was left with the feeling that the concerns of others and how they felt were not really of importance.
Realizing that the whole issue was about her, there were too many people affected by this change and I felt the author
didn't delve enough into those issues. Quit frankly I found it fairly superficial, I never felt the anguish that the whole
situation had to have created. I was left feeling that the most important issue was her relationship with Richard Russo and
that was more a "guess who I know."

• Book Jacket: American Prison
    American Prison
    by Shane Bauer
    After spending over two years in Iran's notorious Evin Prison for supposedly crossing the country's ...
  • Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...

The Removes by Tatjana Soli

A powerful, transporting novel about the addictive intensity and freedom of the American frontier.

Sold on a Monday
    by Kristina McMorris

An unforgettable novel inspired by a stunning piece of history.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter