Reader reviews and comments on Living History, plus links to write your own review.

Living History

by Hillary Rodham Clinton

Living History

Jun 2003, 576 pages
    Apr 2004, 592 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Living History

shubhamvada mathur (08/05/05)

This book requires patience to finish but I did read it from cover-to-cover and I have to say it was very inspiring. The style of the book is very matter-of-fact so don't expect a lot of warm fuzzy feelings. Also, it does not bring out the author's 'human' touch, her gut reactions, the strength of her passions and eccentricities in thought or action which is slightly disappointing. Regardless, she remains a role model for women everywhere. She has grace, intelligence, diplomacy, and the things she has accomplished in her life are a source of inspiration. She has guts, determination and endless enthusiasm with no trace of cynicism which is a rare combination of qualities and after reading Bill Clinton's autobiography, I was struck how the two share these common traits. Excellent book, dry but very worth the effort.
Anonymous (02/07/05)

I am only about half way through this book. It may turn out to be a five, I don't know. I always respected HRC but I didn't feel compelled to read her works until I finished her husband's autobiography. I am taking it in with a grain of salt and still I feel more in awe of her with each page. She doesn't puff herself up. It is written with stoic integrity that must come from her character.
Lee Weingrad (01/07/05)

I was predisposed to like this book and bought it as a vacation read this Christmas. After about 3 chapters I completely gave up, and basically left the book in our cabin in S. Thailand. Why? I felt that there was no sense of the author's passion, her persona. I felt that the story was plastic and gave about as much of a sense of her deeper story as a casual reading of the Manhatten telephone directory would give of living in New York. It seemed to be written from the perspective of it's future utility or potential liability, carefully crafted to leave no room for any enemy ammunition.

For example, she states that she and Bill lived in Berkeley in 1971. I lived in Berkeley in 1971. It was a place of drugs, spiritual exploration, radical political protest, and lifestyle experimentation. I myself lived in a collective related to recycling. Yet none of those firey qualities are present in her description of her time there. It made me think, "did she miss it, or is she just papering over something that was potent, heartfelt, radical and unique in American culture."

The fact that there is also no mention of the book and movie, "True Colors" and the cynicism that it describes, led me to conclude that this is a very self-serving bio, and not written from the heart, but for the polls.

As I said above, I respect Mrs. Clinton a great deal and so this conclusion is not based on some ideological consideration. I just basically gave up on this book. I'm not sure what I now think of its author.
William Halverson (03/04/04)

The book is, of course, as much about Hilary Rodham Clinton as it is about the events she discusses. She is clearly the most important American woman in politics since Eleanor Roosevelt, whom she understandably admires. She writes with grace and insight, exhibiting an admirable combination of steely strength and deep human compassion. I find both the book and its author most engaging, and I absolutely cannot understand why she and her excellent book evoke such strongly negative reactions on the part of so many.
Rita J (02/01/04)

Broaded my view of the world and altered my thinking. The Hilary you come to know is not the one the press has vilified. She has applied her talents and efforts to improve human rights and better the United States and the world in spite of incredible obstacles thrown up by those who did not want her to succeed. A wonderful and enlightening read with out being cruel. Loving and forgiving without weakness, histrionics or apologies. A book that will make you ashamed to give up when meeting obstacles. A must read for my daughter and granddaughters. I will vote for her for President.
Rita (08/24/03)

Very captavating-a real page-turner- She is a heroine in my book.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.