MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, plus links to write your own review.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

by Mark Haddon

The Curious Incident  of the Dog in the Night-Time

Jun 2003, 240 pages
    May 2004, 240 pages

There are currently 45 reader reviews for The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Nils Franco (08/19/11)

Highly Recommended
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime teems with quirky detail and a style of writing so unique you’ll be left with an open mouth in awe of Mark Haddon’s innovative style. I encourage anyone looking for a good read to check out Haddon's mystery novel.
The novel’s writing style stretches limits through its attention to detail and by delving into the questions of life without the typical clouded nonsense, like when an author tries to sound more insightful than he actually is, making these questions impossible to answer. The book’s autistic protagonist, Christopher Boone, does too. It’s got the foundations of a typical coming-of-age story: drastic situation leads to drastic measures. The hero must dive into uncharted territory, forcing himself to overcome his irrational fears to resolve the conflict. The mystery begins when Christopher finds his neighbour’s dog slain in the neighbour’s front yard. Christopher exhibits an uncommon bond with animals; he explains that this is because animals have three straightforward feelings: happy, sad, and okay.
   In the novel, Haddon mulls over the meaning of truth, death, love, hatred, and fear. He poses the questions, “What is truth, and what crosses the line to become a lie?” or, “How does fear dictate our actions? How about love and hate?” The author truly allows us to be free to evaluate these questions that have remained disputed since sentient beings have walked the Earth.
   This work emphasizes the power emotions have in our life, from the small intuitive details to the life-changing decisions, by showing life through a monochromatic or B/W lens. In doing so, we see how effective colour is, and how boring films would be if they lacked this element. The book makes the reader question everything they hold dear to them.

On an unrelated note, this is the first book I have genuinely enjoyed since reading Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder in fourth grade. I found the amount of detail to be compelling and oddly captivating.
me (09/09/10)

hmm
It was very interesting. I liked parts of it but sometimes it got a little slow and I wanted to throw it down. I got mad because Ii could never tell what was going to happen next like I normally can with books. But overall I liked it. Just give it a chance and you'll find it's actually a good book. It has a lot of symbols and words between the lines.
Ashley (08/19/10)

Wonderful
This book has opened my eyes to an entirely different world. it makes you stop and think for a second, wow is that what really goes through the minds of people like this. Wonder, just wonderful. the book will make you smile, cry and it might even make you mad a little. The boy starts off as a sick boy trying to solve a crime in his neighborhood to a wonderful young man trying to put the pieces back together in his life. Christopher is smart, witty and brave.
CMH (08/12/08)

CMH's Thoughts
The book was invigorating. Very fun to read. I recommend it to anyone.
Brandon Diep (06/04/08)

Good Book
This book is one of the books that have everything in you want in one book, it is a comedy, a heartbreaker, and a mystery and very clever having Christopher being the narrator. So if you ever get a chance to read this book because I had a fun time reading this wonderful book.
Brandon Diep (06/01/08)

Fun to read book
This book is one of the books that have everything in you want in one book, it is a comedy, a sad story, and a mystery and very clever having Christopher being the narrator. So if you ever get a chance to read this book because I had a fun time reading this wonderful book.
Brian F (05/18/08)

good book
This book was very interesting and I loved feeling the sense of being in Christopher's shoes. You really get a piece of what it would feel like to have autism due to the authors great job of writing as if he had it. Its truly a unique book and its a good read for many levels of of readers. : )
Darcie K (03/20/08)

Fascinating
This story is told from a fascinating perspective. It reflects on many adult situations in a wry sense of humor. Sometimes Christopher sees more clearly than those of us without "special needs". This is a sad and humorous story that I highly recommend.

• Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
    The Fair Fight
    by Anna Freeman
    Anna Freeman's debut novel, The Fair Fight, highlights the world of boxing in England during ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

H Now B C?