Reader reviews and comments on Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, plus links to write your own review.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

A Savannah Story

by John Berendt

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Jan 1994, 386 pages
    Jul 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 7 reader reviews for Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Elizabeth (08/19/14)

AWESOME
I'm reading this book I am enjoying this as I read it. Like the fact that it's based on real event. To read about the party's that go on the piano playing the songs I'm learning how the people lived
College Student (11/08/06)

GREAT BOOK ABOUT SOUTHERNERS
I had to read this book for one of My college classes. I LOVED IT. This is how southern people are, We all gossip and we do elaborate (a little) stories. However, we are tactfully truthful. We would not say anything behind people backs that we would say to their faces. I thought this book was well written and really enjoyed. Plus I got an A on my paper.
LisaO. (07/26/06)

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Savannah/Tybee Island having been my families favorite summer getaway for years it was a joy to read such an enthralling story about a place that is so dear to me. The discriptions of the town that Mr. Berendt so perfectly dipictes, conjurs up the sights and sounds, smells and faces of Savannah to an exact likeness that it's like sitting on a park bench in one of the historical squares listening and watching these southern eccentrics instead of sitting in my chair at home in Atlanta reading. I am now reading it for the 2nd time and still laughing out loud.
chris (03/25/04)

I think the plot is strangley confusing

why does williams 'disappear' for 10 chapters, did he really murder?

There is a lot of psycho-sexual confusion, williams is obviously gay, danny is his boy. Chablis ? male or female ? What on earth is going on???

Is Savannha really SO full of strange and mysterious charactors ?

There appears to be racial tension / undertones not full explored or explained

left me with more questions than answers, some may like that, I, however, do not.

chris

Jan Bailey (07/10/03)

Before two weeks ago i had never read the book or seen the movie. A friend suggested since i was going to visit Savannah that i should read it. I went to the library and got the book on CD. We were blown away.... it was awesome. I love the way the characters are discribed. As soon as we arrived in town we rented the movie. After the book, movies are always disappointing......... but we still watched it and have become totally engrossed in the story. Im anxious to read something else by Mr Berendt.
Jeannine (09/21/02)

I heard from so many people what a wonderful book this is. I read it but didn't really enjoy it. I'm glad I saw Savannah before I read the book, because it certainly wouldn't make me want to go there. Lots of weird, strange people within the book's covers, but then they say "truth is stranger than fiction" and this is supposed to be true, isn't it?
john (03/27/02)

this is a superbely written book. it is a delightful mixture of both humor and intrigue

• Book Jacket: Wonderful Feels Like This
    Wonderful Feels Like This
    by Sara Lovestam
  • Book Jacket: Blue Light Yokohama
    Blue Light Yokohama
    by Nicolas Obregon
    Blue Light Yokohama, Nicolás Obregón's crime fiction debut, takes place in an exotic ...
  • Book Jacket: Inferno
    Inferno
    by Steven Hatch
    The word "Ebola" sets off an almost visceral reaction in many of us; we think about the men, women ...

The Book of Summer
    by Michelle Gable

The bestselling author of The Paris Apartment, Michelle Gable now transports readers to Nantucket.

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R