Reader reviews and comments on Krakatoa, plus links to write your own review.

Krakatoa

The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883

by Simon Winchester

Krakatoa by Simon Winchester

Apr 2003, 432 pages
    Apr 2004, 448 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Krakatoa

Werner (06/15/12)

For the educated few amongst us ...
Once the 15 year-old teenagers, who can be excused for only being concerned with the "excitement" of drugs and sex, eventually grows up to (hopefully) responsible and educated adults - then maybe they will start to understand the value that a book like this adds to the enjoyment and celebration of life!

An excellent read - full of facts - but then I would rather learn something new than just read mindless novels that always seem to end the same.

A thrilling subject that expands your knowledge - thank you very much for taking the time to research it thoroughly and share it so fantastically.
k (04/02/11)

Crapatoa
Worst book I have ever read! DO NOT READ! Really boring with lots of long and unnecessary words. Only reason I read it was for 8th grade science.
Mark (02/28/06)

Rakata=Krakatoa, the true story and more
I found this book to be an almost definitive work on ALL of the aspects of this event, not just restricted to the geological.. it includes in considerable fascinating depth, glimpses of the reigious - socio - policital involvments of the Native Indonesions and the Portuguese and Dutch; the history of Plate Techtonics, as related to adjacent but radicallly differently rooted species both Plant and Animal, etc. Opened with a short history of why in the heck any Occidentals would be there in the first place; Pepper, of all things... Mr. Wnchester weaves it all so thoughly such that you have a complrehensive and well developed view of history before during and after the events of August 1883 and indeed are left with the feeling that indeed this is DeJa vu... what has been and will be again sooner than any would like.. An excellent, if possible, over-deep, work.
C (09/04/04)

Don't read it. The volcano erupts, it says it on the front cover. It was because of tectonic plate movements. Save a bunch of long words and descriptions, that's all you need to know. Go get something else done instead of wasting your time. (15 years old)

Discover your next great read here

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

If We Were Villains
    by M. L. Rio

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you'd rather have been talking

Y S M B, I'll S Y