Reader reviews and comments on Guns, Germs & Steel, plus links to write your own review.

Guns, Germs & Steel

by Jared Diamond

Guns, Germs & Steel

Mar 1997, 480 pages
    Apr 1999, 480 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Guns, Germs & Steel

T.L. (09/13/07)

Well, Let's See....
This is a good book. It may have some boring parts on it, but it's not to entertain you anyways. It's to inform you. And this book is a carefully thought-out, use all your resources, take 30 or more years to finish, AMAZING book. Jared Diamond had to be VERY dedicated to finish his research. I probably would've quit on the 3rd day! But all Diamond's work paid off to have a very successful, informative book published, and he should praise himself in that.
Megan (07/17/06)

GG&S is a really bad read!!!
I think this book is absolutely terrible. It is not only horribly boring, but terribly redundant.
Kitty-San (11/09/04)

Wow. Diamond's work in this book was amazing. Simply delectable. This book is written in a way that it keeps interest even though some say it is a bit long. But truely, for the ground it covers, its ever so short. I recommend this book to anyone willing to take some time to discover more about our past and what the future might hold for us. Please keep in mind, this is from the mouth of a 14 year old.
Paul (04/28/03)

Brilliant. Compelling. Okay, it is a bit long, but well worth the read and sticking with it. The vaste panorama of human history will be laid out for you, and your understanding of how - and why - civilisation developed they way it did will change the way you look at the world.

It is rare that such an "academic" book deserves so many superlatives, but this one does. If you have the slightest interest in prehistory and the development of mankind on a global stage, this is the book for you. If you don't have any interest in these topics, this book is still for you!

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review