Reader reviews and comments on Lost In A Good Book, plus links to write your own review.

Lost In A Good Book

Feb 2004, 339 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Lost In A Good Book

Cloggie Downunder

hilarious
Lost in a Good Book is the 2nd book in the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. Fresh from her adventures in The Eyre Affair, Thursday Next is enjoying married life until she is informed that her husband, Landen Parke-Laine, died 38 years ago: suddenly, he only exists in her memories. This turns out to be a ploy to convince her to get Goliath operative, Jack Schitt, out of “The Raven”, where she had previously trapped him. Can her ex-ChronoGuard father help? What has Miss Havisham from Great Expectations got to do with it all?
Filled with hilarious names for characters and SpecOps divisions and witty, clever dialogue, this novel also has a highly original plot. Monty Pythonesque in parts, it is reminiscent of work by the late Douglas Adams, by Sir Terry Pratchett, and by Lewis Carroll. Fforde shows us that travel ports, courts of law, art exhibitions and employment reviews are essentially the same, no matter what version of universe one inhabits. And the alternate universe Thursday is offered towards the end is a cute twist. The chapter introductions, in the form of journal extracts or parts of manuals, give the reader pertinent background information in a unique way. The ending has the reader eager to read the next installment, The Well of Lost Plots. Don’t read this in public because you WILL laugh out loud, often.
Nadia

Fantastic! "Lost in a Good Book" is a bit darker than the Fforde's first novel in the series ("The Eyre Affair") -- it is nonetheless as riveting as the first. It's exciting to plumb more deeply into the various characters as some of their past histories come to light. I truly enjoy Fforde's irreverent and sardonic perspective on all that is ridiculous, ugly and/or beautiful! I have recommended it to all of my friends.
Cindy

Almost as good as the first Next!!

• Book Jacket: We Set the Dark on Fire
    We Set the Dark on Fire
    by Tehlor Mejia
    On the island of Medio, a wall separates the wealthy elite from those less fortunate who lack the ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Leopard, Red Wolf
    Black Leopard, Red Wolf
    by Marlon James
    If you are looking for an indulgent, escapist fantasy, Black Leopard, Red Wolf may not be for you. ...
  • Book Jacket: That Time I Loved You
    That Time I Loved You
    by Carianne Leung
    Carrianne Leung was a Toronto Book Award finalist for That Time I Loved You as well as for her debut...
  • Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

The Last Year of the War
    by Susan Meissner

A little-known story of WWII with great resonance for our times.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!