Reader reviews and comments on The House of The Scorpion, plus links to write your own review.

The House of The Scorpion

by Nancy Farmer

The House of The Scorpion

Oct 2002, 400 pages
    Nov 2002, 308 pages

There are currently 144 reader reviews for The House of The Scorpion

Jordan (7th Grade) (05/27/15)

Best book
I love this book and I really wish that it would have had a longer series. I've also read the Lord of Opium. 5/5 for both books.
legenddarkrai (02/14/12)

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK!!! It gave lots of exciting things and I like how there were different sections. I think the ending is really cool, yet sad. But overall, I LOVED IT!!
Lia (12/04/11)

House of the Scorpion
This book was amazing!!! I had to read it for a book club and didn't think it was convincing by the back of the book. I fell head over heals for this book and couldn't put it down. I highly recommend this book if you like the following genres:
Science fiction
Realistic fiction
(I am not a big fan of sic fi and I LOVED this book)
7th Grader (01/23/11)

Interesting in a unique way
I loved this book. I read it in a week because I was so addicted to it. I loved how the parts were put according to his age. I know it sounds dumb but it was kinda cool to see how everything changed as the years went by, and how Matt slowly learned about who he was and what that meant. I put this as a 4 because though the main meat of the book was great, the ending was sloppy. It felt rushed and the whole thing after the salt mines just didn't seem necessary or done right. The ending was also rushed, and had a bit of (just my opinion) unneeded events happen. This isn't the first book I've read that had a great storyline, but a car crashing into a wall ending. I just wish that this author would of spent more time on the ending. Still a great read, and worth it even with the lame ending.
Blake (05/12/10)

My biology teacher assigned my grade a project, make a model and present it to her, or read a book. We had an option of three books. I chose this one. I'm sure glad I did! I loved it! Everyone is saying its long... its not that long, only 380 pages. Although I would say the author could have ended it a lot earlier than she did. I was thinking halfway through the book that it could almost be done, what else does she have left to say? but all in all its a great book! READ it!
ncmnt2 (02/14/10)

8th grades Only!
I am amazed that so many feel that this is appropriate literature for 10-12 year olds. This novel is very dark and offers little by way of the positive for young readers. The content describes several forms of government and contains some very intense moralistic issues that should be considered with ages more appropriate for 13. Very interesting plot and wonderful for more mature audiences who will appreciate the parallels and life lessons.
JK (01/30/10)

JK's review
This is like a great book! I usually read classics , but this a one of a kind book! I would recomend it to anyone ages 11 and up.
Laurel Booher (11/30/09)

Worth Reading!
I really enjoyed reading this book, because it s t r e t c h e d my mind. I also liked reading Lois Lowery's The Giver...the genre and ideas were complementary. I'd love to discuss with someone who's read both of these sci-fi classics!
I feel like I understand God's plan for us better after reading these books. Earthly Man was not meant to live forever. I want to own this book!

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Tom Jackson

by Paulette Jiles

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.