Reader reviews and comments on Abraham, plus links to write your own review.

Abraham

A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths

by Bruce Feiler

Abraham

Sep 2002, 288 pages
    Feb 2004, 256 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Abraham

Power Reviewer Betty T (04/30/12)

A Trip into Abraham's Land
I found the book to be very interesting. The author does not claim to be a scholar or an expert on any religion. He set out to explore the monotheistic religions in their settings. He first did this with his book "Walking the Bible". With this book, he looks at Abraham who is the man central to all three of the monotheistic religions. The book is the story of his journey; therefore, it is not written in a scholarly fashion. He struggles with how Abraham is so central to these three religions, yet the religions cannot even agree on some of the "shared" stories from Abraham's life. This helps the reader grasp some some degree of understanding regarding the conflict over Jerusalem and the struggle for the three religions to dwell in peace.
melindaborrell (02/19/04)

Feiler's book reaches for emotional and spiritual meaning, but fails to hit its mark, at least with this reader. His scholarship should be impeccable, not personal. I found particularly distasteful his use of 9/11 to heighten the emotional aspect of his quest. He merely touches on subjects, instead of offering balanced views so that we can tell if the information he is giving us should be trusted. I wish he had addressed how limiting this myth of Abraham is, how patriarchal, and how dismissive it is of women's ways of knowing God. Perhaps it is the loss of women as part of the substance of faith which leads to such infliction of human misery. Melinda Borrell
Anonymous (02/26/03)

Feiler tells little that he couldn't have found on the internet. His folksy style seems out of tune with his material. I found the book quite dull reading.

• Book Jacket: I Contain Multitudes
    My Name Is Leon
    by Kit De Waal

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review