Reader reviews and comments on Blue Shoe, plus links to write your own review.

Blue Shoe

by Anne Lamott

Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott X
Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott

Sep 2002, 304 pages
    Oct 2003, 304 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Blue Shoe

Lily

I wanted to like Blue Shoe, because I have read two other books by Lamott, and admire her for her faith and her struggles in life. What I didn't like about Mattie in Blue Shoe was her inability to feel any empathy toward Pauline. She was able to put herself in others' shoes on several occasions, and modify her harsh impulses toward a kinder attitude, but that never happened with Pauline. Pauline's depressions and her fat ass seemed grounds to condemn her.

I also thought that Ella, Mattie's little girl, was just about the most appalling tot that has ever walked the pages of a novel, with the possible exception of Roy in John Updike's Rabbit at Rest. The way she kept playing with her navel, then nibbling her wrist, then biting her nails made me want to smack her. Possibly Lamott, as the creator of this novel, wanted the reader to react that way, and to realize, eventually, that Ella is a child of God like everyone else and deserving of love and compasssion.

Robert Funke, one of the Jesus seminar scholars, wrote an article on The Good Samaritan story, interpreting it as a story that suggests that help comes from the most unexpected places, and that God's mercy and goodness pops up from unusual sources when you least expect it. (He suggests that quite a few of the parables have that message.) I think the Blue Shoe is a talisman, a reminder of the unexpectedness of God, but because so many of the characters in Blue Shoe were unlikeable, the message that Lamott seems to be conveying was not as effective as it might have been.

greg

too many characters; the plot was too confuleted with too many things going on. It became on ongoing soap opera; it truly is not one of my top five best noverls of the summer.

• Book Jacket: We Set the Dark on Fire
    We Set the Dark on Fire
    by Tehlor Mejia
    On the island of Medio, a wall separates the wealthy elite from those less fortunate who lack the ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Leopard, Red Wolf
    Black Leopard, Red Wolf
    by Marlon James
    If you are looking for an indulgent, escapist fantasy, Black Leopard, Red Wolf may not be for you. ...
  • Book Jacket: That Time I Loved You
    That Time I Loved You
    by Carianne Leung
    Carrianne Leung was a Toronto Book Award finalist for That Time I Loved You as well as for her debut...
  • Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...

The Last Year of the War
    by Susan Meissner

A little-known story of WWII with great resonance for our times.

My Lovely Wife
    by Samantha Downing

Dexter meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith in this wildly compulsive debut thriller.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!