Reader reviews and comments on This Side Of The Sky, plus links to write your own review.

This Side Of The Sky

Sep 2003, 304 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for This Side Of The Sky

Ebony Johnson (07/09/08)

Highly Overrated
It's hard to like the two main characters. Didn't draw me in at all. The author was trying too hard to be cute and lyrical. Seemed like a poor attempt to write for black audiences. Readers would do well to pick another book to read.
J Dicks (10/12/03)

I just finished reading this novel and I enjoyed it very much. The characters seemed real and a lot of the history included in the novel was familiar because of stories I'd heard from family members raised in the south during the pre-WWII era. I especially liked and appreciated the passionate friendship of the two women in the story and that friendship reminds me of my relationships with women in my life. Thank you to the author for such an entertaining novel.
AJ (05/26/03)

What a wonderful book! I am an avid reader, all genres, whatever I can get my hands on. This book was one of the best I have read. I love the style of writing, as well, as the characters; so developed were they, I still think of them and I have long since finished the book! Wonderful, wonderful read! I can't wait for more!
Leslie Morganstern (04/14/03)

Dear Reader:

I was dissappointed with This Side of the Sky. The cover of the book lured me in. Once I start a book I finish it. And I finished this one. But I must say that this fairly convertional story left me feeling flat. Some of the writing was good, but there is just something missing and it's hard to pinpoint just what.

Leslie Morganstern

Portland, OR
Magdalena Gallegos (02/17/03)

This Side of the Sky by Elyse Singleton is one of the best books I have ever read and I have been a reader all of my life. Her style of writing paints pictures in your mind while you are reading the story. You are there in the time and place where the story unfolds. Many times I would come to a wonderfully written passage and have to stop to absorb the bbeauty of her written words. I highly recommend this book to book lovers. M. Gallegos
angel parades (11/18/02)

This is a story of two young black southern women determined to make life work for them. It is written in a fresh, intelligent, witty and honest voice, compelling and beautifully crafted. Singleton is a wonderful storyteller. I am waiting for more.
stacy matusik (10/09/02)

this book was really bad jk
Lisa Mansfield (10/07/02)

This book did not hold my interest. The characters did not come to life and events seemed contrived, if not politically correct. Don't waste your time, as I did, with this book.

• Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci
    by Chloe Benjamin
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot
    Published by New Directions for the first time in English, Romain Gary's The Kites tells a story of ...
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig

The Days When Birds Come Back
    by Deborah Reed

Win The Driest Season

Win One of 50 Copies of This Exceptional Debut!

A deeply affecting story of loss, heartache, and—finally—hope.

A J O A Thousand M B W O S