Reader reviews and comments on The Lake of Dead Languages, plus links to write your own review.

The Lake of Dead Languages

by Carol Goodman

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

Jan 2002, 390 pages
    Jan 2003, 413 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for The Lake of Dead Languages

New York Times (03/14/10)

A Slice Of Wonder
This book was fantastically gripping and suspenseful, with a manner much like Donna Tartt's "Secret History". This book, however, is still truly unique, and it is a puzzlement how it is not more then the next Twilight, it should be the next Harry Potter.
Daria Summers (09/04/07)

Enticing, Captivating
Though some of the plots are a bit extreme, the editing of each scene can be realistic enough. Not to mention that every page leaves you curious, wondering, and sometimes a little bewildered with the "goings-on" as the story reveals it's twists and turns dramatically, solving the pieces of the puzzle, building into it's climatic ending. Thrilling enough with mentions of gothic literature, too.
Oroboros (08/17/07)

good premis, clumsy execution
I did enjoy reading this book. I liked the metaphor of the lake water sinking then freezing, but as with Carol Goodman's other books (Mainly the Seduction of Water), I felt that she doesn't give her reader enough credit. She no sooner hints at a twist than tells you outright exactly what the secret was. You don't ever get to enjoy the satisfaction of catching a clever allusion, metaphor, or secret because she slams it in your face.
She is clever and makes good metaphors and interesting twists, but divulges them to bluntly.
I also don't like her female main characters. It seems that she's trying to make them realistic, but to me they just end up seeming stupid and too dependent on men. I know some people like reading about realistically flawed people and really relate to them, but I would much rather read about someone I can aspire to be like.
liz (10/18/06)

Trash with glimmers of hope
The book left me confused. Ususally I will like a book or dislike a book after reading it. I think it swerved from harlequine romance to decent thriller as often as every other paragraph. It became overwrought at the end and the brutality of the last murder was over the top. Still, it had it's moments. I guess if you are looking for an simple page turner that has a subtle smoothness every now again and you are willing to forgive the Victorian vapors then it's an ok read.
Angela (02/18/05)

I loved everything about htis book. It is just the perfect mix of thriller, mystery, and suspence. It keeps you hooked until the very last word.
Nicole (02/14/05)

This book was amazing! i couldn't put it down, i read it in two days. From the first page to last you just can't wait to see what happens next. The intracate plot twists and glimpses into Jane Hundsons tradgic past at Heart Lake will keep you hooked. I am 15 years old and I would recomend this book (and anything else written by Carol Goodman) to anyone who loves a griping mysteery.
***** (01/17/05)

It is an amazing book and i recommend it to anyone.
****** (11/12/04)

This book is amazing. I LOVE it no matter what the critics say. My friend gave it to me to read and I passed it on, because it was fabulous! You have to keep reading to find out what happens next-no matter how late it is!!
The way Latin is used as a common thread between all of the characters is wonderful. It is made all the more wonderful be Goodman's beautiful, poetic writing.

The Noise of Time
    by Francis Spufford

Win The Library of Light and Shadow

The Library of Light and Shadow by M.J. Rose

The Almost Sisters

A powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South.

T H Are B T O