Read what people think about Have Mother, Will Travel by Claire & Mia Fontaine, and write your own review.

A Mother and Daughter Discover Themselves, Each Other, and the World

by Claire & Mia Fontaine

• Readers' rating:

• Published in USA  Jul 2012
    Genre: Travel & Adventure

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Have Mother, Will Travel

Kristen H. (Lowell, MA) (07/14/12)

Ups and downs
Every relationship has its ups and downs especially those of mothers and daughters. "Have Mother, Will Travel" explores the relationship between a mother and daughter as they travel in Europe. Also, it explores the different parenting characteristics between European and American cultures. It was such a great read that before I even finished Chapter 1, I went and ordered the prequel to this book which is titled "Comeback: A Mother and Daughters Journey Through Hell"
Edie M. (Kennett Square, PA) (07/14/12)

have mother, will travel, eye opening memoir
Being a mother of three teen girls, I was excited to delve into this book. Claire and Mia Fontaine did not disappoint.

I was not riveted to my seat by any means but did experience quite a few Ah-Ha moments.

I found it very inspiring when in Nepal, Clair actually took a minute to realize how lucky she is to have food, freedom, family and good health. We are so quick to complain here in the United States, when actually we are spoiled.

I was very moved to read Mia's realization of exactly how much she had hurt her mother with her actions. It seemed to me that by the end of the book, Mia is finally growing up.

As a mother, it really hit home for me the amount of my time that could be better put to use, if I focused more and didn't get distracted. This is not a new realization for me, but a kick in the pants for me to start living!

This book was very inspiring to me and I am happy that I read it.
More than once, I was nodding my head in agreement and laughing out loud to both Mia and Claire, happy that they brought me along for the ride.

I would recommend this book for anyone over the age of 25.
Janice C. (Hayward, CA) (06/28/12)

Have Mother Will Travel
I truly enjoyed this book. It was honest and insightful.
I am not the daughter of a narcissistic mother nor do I believe I am a narcissistic mother myself. I do have a few friends who I know will benefit from reading this book. I will be sure to pass my copy on and recommend it to others. Because I did not consider this a self-help book, it was simply an excellent read.
Ann S. (Shenandoah, Iowa) (06/28/12)

Opportunity of a lifetime
Perhaps some mothers would not give a thought to spending such a prolonged and concentrated time with their daughter; I would love it.

I found this memoir filled with honest observations and instances which touched my very soul. I would cherish even a few days of time with my daughter, away from our different lives. A longer time would be a dream.

It is not that Claire and Mia are always on the same page, but that they are not and yet respect and give credibility to each others' thoughts and opinions. Their descriptions of both the physical surroundings and incidents give the reader insight into their individuality. A great read!

I now plan to read their earlier book.
Eileen L. (Danvers, MA) (06/26/12)

A great journey
I LOVED this book, and I do not often say that. The relationship between mother and daughter is so finely drawn, and so natural, I felt as though I knew them. Having lost my mother young I could live through Mia as she grew to know her Mother as a person and a woman , as well as a Mom. Their shared experiences on their trip dovetailed perfectly with the journey they were on as a family. As they discover more and more about each other you can feel the relationship deepening and shifting. The writing is memorizing and the descriptions of the trip are so rich. Great , great read!
Tracey S. (Largo, FL) (06/26/12)

typical mother/daughter relationship
This book reminded me of the relationship I have with my daughter. There are great times and then times when we don't get along, but those times are few and far between and we make up pretty fast! I had read "Come Back" for my book club a few years back and really enjoyed it. With this one, I got a little bored. I wasn't happy with the way the first section ended. I felt more could have been told about how the scavenger hunt ended. I do feel that by the end of the book, both mother and daughter had come to a better understanding of each other. And they did a great job of describing all the wonderful places they visited along the way.
Maribeth K. (Highland Mills, NY) (06/24/12)

Have Mother, Will Travel
After some tumultuous teen years, Claire (mother) and Mia (daughter) journey together on a twelve country tour followed by some concentrated living in Avignon, France. Written in alternating voices, this delightful book captures the nuances of the mother-daughter relationship as they take in new sights and experiences while traveling the world. They explore their inner selves and learn about each other in ways that would probably not have been so available in their daily lives. Great descriptive writing about the places and cultures they visit complement this fun and sometimes hilarious read.
Gail G. (Northbrook, Illinois) (06/20/12)

Have Mother will Travel by Claire and Mia Fontaine
This book's philosophical renderings are over abundant; far too much to be really effective. Of course all are meaningful and well thought out but result in overkill. There were too many conversational changes even though the material added to what they had to say was important it did not have the impact it should have because of the overabundance of information. When we come to an event it's not made strong enough. If there had been fewer finger pointing and aha moments they would have been more effective. The adventures and the characters experiences were real and interesting. Too bad we didn't have more of them to offset the continuous bombardment of ahas.

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.