Read what people think about Niceville by Carsten Stroud, and write your own review.

by Carsten Stroud

• Published in USA  Jun 2012

There are currently 21 reader reviews for Niceville

Pepper E. (Lawrenceville, NJ) (06/25/12)

Suspenseful!
Creative, richly imagined characters will keep you turning the pages of this book. Set in the small secret-rich southern town of Niceville, some residents may not have truly died after all, and old family feuds still rage. I prefer my plots without the fantasy, but I thought the characters were the saving grace. Stroud reminded me of Carl Hiaasen, only darker and grittier. The bad guys were perfectly despicable! I'd like to see them again.
Kelly H. (Martinsville, IN) (06/16/12)

Niceville-I don't think so!
Wow! What a crazy, creepy, fun read! Took me forever to pick up this book, but once I did, I could not put it down. I have never read anything like this, but now I want more! Stroud is an amazing storyteller. This book has a lot of characters and a lot going on, but Stroud manages these characters and events flawlessly. I did not think this book would be for me, but I loved it, and will be passing it on.
Kwen (06/13/12)

OK
I only read it because I am from Niceville, Fl...yes there's actually a town called Niceville. Anyways it was an alright book but maybe it's because I was expecting the characters to be like the people who live in this town, a bunch of red neck hillbillys, I didn't really find it all too interesting.
Nancy C. (Newton, KS) (06/12/12)

Niceville: Not So Nice
It is impossible to put this book down. Carsten Stroud has woven a fascinating plot that manages to keep multiple characters and their stories from losing their way. This novel is a blend of great fiction with a twist of the supernatural. A missing boy, a well planned bank robbery and a secret weapon combine to to hold the readers attention. The characters are well developed as the plot unfolds. I can't help but wonder if Stroud plans to write a sequel to tie the lose ends together. Regardless, this is a book that will stay with you for a long time.
Mary G. (Purcellville, VA) (06/12/12)

Enjoyably Odd
Niceville is one of the oddest books I have ever read--and I loved it! There are two concurrent plotlines. One reminds me of Cormac McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men." The other reminds me of a Dean Koontz novel. Both are set in Niceville with overlapping characters, and the plots dip into one another throughout the book. There is an awful lot going on in this book, but I didn't have too much trouble keeping track. I did feel, however, that one of the plots was not satisfactorily resolved. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend this book.
Harriette K. (Northbrook, IL) (06/10/12)

Niceville
A seemingly pleasant southern town is rocked by the mysterious disappearance of a child, his recovery and then a bank robbery and the murder of four policemen who are chasing the robbers. What starts out as a "cop" drama turns into a Southern Gothic tale, with mysterious disappearances and unearthly occurrences. I found much of it extremely confusing, as if the author wasn't sure which way he wanted his narrative to go. Only my obligation to review this book kept me going to the end. I felt something that I couldn't quite put my finger on missing in the narrative. I might recommend the book to a Stephen King fan, but found it less than I had expected.
Debra V. (Kenosha, WI) (06/08/12)

Niceville
Enjoyed this improbable mystery from Carsten Stroud. The dialog was entertaining and so was the story. I found the ending unsatisfying and difficult to understand, but then the book's charm is that it is an improbable southern gothic type of mystery!!
Debb R. (Grand Island, NE) (06/06/12)

A New Favorite Author!
Niceville is a scary,exhilarating ride! I loved every minute of it! Rainey Teague is one frightening little boy and his world will keep you keep you reading until the wee hours. A bit reminiscent of Dean Koontz in intensity and so entertaining. Carsten Stroud, Hats off to you,I am a new fan!

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?

The Big Holiday Wordplay: