Read what people think about The First Warm Evening of the Year by Jamie M. Saul, and write your own review.

The First Warm Evening of the Year

by Jamie M. Saul

The First Warm Evening of the Year

• Published in USA  Apr 2012

There are currently 21 reader reviews for The First Warm Evening of the Year

Julie M. (St. Paul, MN) (05/16/12)

Fate or Luck?
This story reinforced my belief that people are put in our path or in our lives for a reason and sometimes one connection can lead to another with another person. Also that not everyone is ready for a committed relationship early in life, but eventually we all seem to desire it.
Marcia M. (Woburn, MA) (05/14/12)

Characters Are Everything...Or Not
I really wanted to like this book; after all, my favorite cover icon (an adirondack chair) is right there…on a dock…at sunset. However, I just couldn't warm up to this cast of self-absorbed characters and all of their various past loves and past lives.

There were two quote snippets that summed things up for me. The first, "Oh well, what's the point of having a heart, if you're not going to use it?," made me wonder why these characters were always mistaking their heads for their hearts. The second (found very near the end of the book), "I wish we stopped turning everything we say indisde out...Turning each other inside out," made me wonder why one of them hadn't thought of this sooner.

There were small, setting-related details of the story that I found very touching; but overall, this book fell a little short of hitting my reading bliss spot.
Caryl L. (Williamsburg, VA) (05/08/12)

first warm evening of the year
This is a delightful book telling the story of three lives intertwined in a sea of conflicting emotions and conflicts.
Marion, a widow, satisfied with her stagnant life, after her husband,s death. Geoffrey, hoping to free his busy life in NYC busy with social connections and cocktail parties and anxious to make his life meaningful. Eliot, in love with Marion but unable express it.
Saul has the ability to look into the hearts and minds of his characters. He shows a deep understanding of the human mind and heart.
Eloise F. (Poway, CA) (05/06/12)

Story not believable
I've never checked on reviews before while reading a book to review, but I did here halfway through, because I thought I simply was missing something. I was bored, unimpressed with supposed love at first sight with someone who would not give the hero the time of day. The story of the two brothers was a distraction that made no sense. The second half of the book actually picked up a bit (probably because the brothers stepped out of the plot). It was a soft and even pleasant read but I'd not recommend it.
Kate S. (arvada, CO) (05/05/12)

Life in Jr. High School
Where to start with this review? I felt the writing was amateurish, and terribly dragging in plot and character development. The worst of it was I felt like I was back in Jr. High School. The story, the crushes, the "love at first sight". Please, he does not even know the woman and he is in love with her and can't stop thinking about her! I am forgiving on plot and characters if the writing is good. I felt like a High School teacher reading a really bad, really long student paper.
Like another reviewer, I only finished it because I committed myself to reading it and reviewing it. I would never recommend this to anyone. With so many talented and accomplished authors trying to publish; it is sad this is what is being offered to readers.
Mary S. (Hilton Head Island, SC) (05/01/12)

Not Worth The Time
I wanted to like this book, unfortunately the author never caught my attention or interest. The novel seemed to be more of a memoir by the author who was working out his own psychological hangups and issues. The writing was clumsy and pedantic. Reminded me more of a low class romance novel than a "tour de force' as highlighted on the book jacket.
Sherrill B. (Columbia City, In.) (04/30/12)

the first warm evening of the year
It was a very easy read and it definitely held my attention to the end. I liked the idea; I didn't know how it was going to end until the end of the story. The book is full of emotion, as the characters try to figure out just how they fit together in the puzzle of life: Whether to hold on to the past all their life, or move on to new territory and love.
Marie A (Warner, NH) (04/21/12)

Out of the Past...And Into?
When I received this novel, I couldn't wait to read it. I wish I could say that it held my interest. I can't because as I read page after page, I became like the characters--stuck in the past with ghosts from the past, waiting for and hoping for something to happen, waiting for e-mails or phone calls, and ruminating about what might/could happen in the future. I found the characters unremarkable in a plot that lacked depth. Without hesitation I can say that this is not a book I shall reread, readily recommend, nor long remember.

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.