Read what people think about Accidents of Providence by Stacia Brown, and write your own review.

by Stacia Brown

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Accidents of Providence

Sarah N. (Corte Madera, CA) (01/05/12)

Captivating from the first page...
"So Mary pulled on her boots, pinned up her hair, changed her sleeping robe for a jersey skirt, and became what she'd never wanted to be: someone who got involved" (p. ix) Sometimes we all just want to be on the sidelines not getting involved. Rachel's problem all along was the right people not being involved. Rachel Lockyer, the main character, was someone I cared about and someone I hoped would have the right person stand up for her. Her love story is beautiful and sad at the some time. Although Rachel Lockyer is not a real person, my gut tells me her story is probably close to someone's real story.
Sherri A. (westbrook, ct) (01/01/12)

Accidents of Providence
This novel was just...ok for me. I couldn't really connect with the characters and at times it felt like a fictionalized thesis...I guess I was expecting more; oh well.
Sandra S. (Charlotte, NC) (12/26/11)

Good, enjoyable historical.
Loved the characters. The historical setting was real and the tension grew with the pages, as is appropriate. Would definitely recommend this book to others.
Marie A. (Warner, NH) (12/23/11)

Accidents of Providence
The author does a good job in referencing history and in presenting characters--some based on real people who lived in London during the 17th Century and other fictitious characters who fit in and complement the story.
The story is woven around the Puritan assumption that a woman's sexuality was not hers to do with what she wished ergo Rachel Lockyer's dilemma and its effects on members of her community.
If a book group were to select ACCIDENTS OF PROVIDENCE as a choice, the title could act as a springboard for discussion. How interesting would that be?
Though I found the book interesting in its topic, I did not find it remarkable in its presentation.
Martha L. (Warner, NH) (12/23/11)

great idea - poor style
I asked for this book with high expectations and was really looking forward to reading it. I had finished The Dressmaker and the suggestion that this book was in a similar vein was quite intriguing .

The book while having a great story to be told and characters with all sorts of angst, did not live up to the potential it could have. The author used story elements such as flashbacks to tell the story of Rachel Lockyer and the events around her murder trial. The English history during this time of Cromwell and the difficulties was a great backdrop to tell a story. The characters seemed to be an honest reflection of the time. The problem was the prose was hard to read and the story, at times, was did not capture the imagination as it could have and should have. I finished the story but continued to be off put by the quality of the writing. I did not find the comparison between The Dressmaker and this story to be accurate.
Margaret O. (Bonita Springs, FL) (12/22/11)

Accidents of Providence
The setting for the story of Rachel Lockyer and her dead child is England in the mid 17th century where life for the masses is fraught with hardship. The author provides a detailed picture and historical context that draws you into the lives of both the women of the period and the Levelers, a democratic political action group who emphasized popular sovereignty, extended suffrage, equality before the law and religious tolerance. In the course of the trial all of these themes come into focus as Rachel’s love affair is with a leader of the ‘leveling’ movement.

Stacia Brown’s book acquainted me with a period in history with which I was not familiar as I saw it through the eyes of Rachel during the course of her ordeal.

This was an informative and captivating book for me and I found the relationships among the women of special interest.
Marsha S. (Nags Head, NC) (12/20/11)

Accidents of Providence
I found Accidents of Providence very compelling because of the topic and the way it is written. The author's style of writing puts you right into the place with vivid descriptions of the sights, sounds, and smells of the period. The topic was extremely interesting to me because it is based on the historical facts of infanticide and the Levelers movement in 17th century England, both of which I was unaware until reading this book. The intense affair between Rachel and William Walwyn brings the characters to life in a very human way.

This would be a good book for a group discussion, and the topic should be carefully considered by those in our society today who are seeking to curtail women's rights.
Maribeth King (Highland Mills, NY) (12/20/11)

Accidents of Providence
For the most part, I thoroughly enjoy historical novels. This book however was rather superficial providing some background within which the story evolves. I found the characters not well developed and some rather strange, ie Walwyn's wife, Anne. The story itself became more improbable as it went on so that it was less of a historical novel and more of an imaginary tale and sometimes it seemed like the writer was trying to make it a bit mysterious. This is my first book review for BookBrowse and I was so excited to participate. Unfortunately reading this small book became somewhat of a chore. I am curious to see what others have to say. I thank you for the opportunity.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti
  • Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    So Say the Fallen
    by Stuart Neville

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.