Read what people think about Loose Diamonds by Amy Ephron, and write your own review.

Loose Diamonds

...and other things I've lost (and found) along the way

by Amy Ephron

Loose Diamonds by Amy Ephron X
Loose Diamonds by Amy Ephron

• Published in USA  Sep 2011
    Genre: Short Stories/Essays

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Loose Diamonds

Lyn M. (charlotte, NC) (09/14/11)

A Light Read
I enjoyed Amy Ephron's book, Loose Diamonds, for what it was: A light, entertaining diversion. It was humorous and had some heartwarming moments, but was not ground breaking in any way and not something I would convince someone to go out and purchase. I would certainly tell them to read it if someone lent it to them.
Angelique H. (York, PA) (09/07/11)

(Some of ) The writing sparkles - if only the subject matter did too.
How do you take in a book whose author claims she was tutored by a famous architect as a child; was paid to interview Squeaky Fromme at 19; is capable of telekinesis? The elitist references to a life full of caviar and Cristal and the name dropping are jarring juxtaposed with her observations that our pieces of jewelry are part of our identity - which is as true for a woman wearing $20 silver cross as the author's antique diamond and emerald ring (which she "earned" for 39 hours of labor). The subject matter was fantastical but not in a way that invited the reader to imagine a F. Scott Fitgerald lifestyle; rather it inspired this reader to Google the author for verisimilitude. The writing sparkled in some places while in others it sparked and flared out. Perhaps because it's a gallery proof - the overall effect was of impressions bubbling up sweet and almost satisfying like chocolate fudge just before the "ball" stage.
Janice H. (Savage, Minnesota) (09/06/11)

Interesting and Entertaining
I was drawn to the book by its title - Loose Diamonds ... and other things I've lost (and found) along the way. I read this book as soon as I received it and enjoyed learning more about our author with every new story in her book. She has some weird yet interesting stores to tell including meeting Squeaky Frome of the Charles Manson cult, entertaining her neighbor, the Birdman as a young girl, and socializing with the rich lady down the street. I especially enjoyed her story, 'Staying" about whether to divorce or not.

I found her stories interesting, entertaining, and quite delightful and some of them down right hilarious. Any modern family with a stepdad or a stepmom and step siblings will relate to her down to earth stories of disaster waiting to happen.

I really enjoyed the book and I think you will too.
Merle M. (Boulder, CO) (09/05/11)

Lite Reading
Too light for me. Luckily it was short. I was disappointed. It reminds me why I do not subscribe to People Magazine and rarely find it interesting, even when captive in waiting rooms.
Elise G. (Margate City, NJ) (09/01/11)

Flat and contrived
Despite their abbreviated length, good short stories have interesting characters and engaging story lines --- these did not! The characters were flat and the stories contrived, as if the author got hold of a tidbit of information (perhaps from a Google search?) and wrote a story around it. Couldn't get into this one at all...
Chet W. (Madison, WI) (08/30/11)

Loose Diamonds by Amy Ephron
Interesting and yet somewhat compelling at times, Loose Diamonds gives the reader a glimpse into the past and present of a woman that relishes the idea of always having the good life and a good laugh along the way; even when some of life's events warrants tears, Amy found a way to laugh about it, and make the best of the situation. Losing, finding and embracing memories of her remarkable life. She celebrates the values of memories; she takes us from the ballroom to the boardroom, shopping the racks at Saks (in which is one of her life long passions). The book is humorous, Amy assures us through her book that life is a game of cards sometime we're dealt the aces other times the duces and every so often we're dealt a joker. An enjoyable journey.
Sandra S. (Huntington Woods, Michigan) (08/24/11)

Learning To Look Forward To Changes In Life!
Amy Ephron's most recent book is a collection of short memoirs from her life's journey, up to this present moment. The title caught my eye, and from the first page to the last, I enjoyed every experience she related. The first essay was titled Loose Diamonds, it was about a remembrance she had of loosing her "valuable" jewelry to a robbery in her apartment and what she learned from that experience. The first memoir also set the tone for the rest of her book. Her writing is wonderfully descriptive, frequently humorous, and she doesn't miss a beat when it comes to describing the different people that encompass her life. She discusses what she believes to be a true life changing moment for her. As Amy Ephron's life journey continues to challenge her, she never gives up her optimistic outlook. I would recommend "Loose Diamond" to anyone who enjoys reading essays, as well as, memoirs.
Cheri W. (Grand Rapids, MN) (08/24/11)

Very nice read
If you ever fly an airline that starts with D, then you will have plenty of time to read this lovely book while waiting to either depart or letting the mechanics fix an electrical error. Small in size, but big in message this book was like opening up someone's diary and being swept away in their life (which was better then mine sitting on the tarmac for 30 minutes). Mrs. Ephron is a wonderful writer and carries the reader along with her wonderful prose and detail. This book made a exhausting, frustrating experience a little more manageable, And for that I thank her! Perfect beach book or book to have while traveling.

• Book Jacket: The Overstory
    by Patricia Hampl

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

The Girl Who Smiled Beads
    by Clemantine Wamariya & Elizabeth Weil

A riveting story of survival, and the power of stories to save us.

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes