Read what people think about A Bitter Truth by Charles Todd, and write your own review.

A Bess Crawford Mystery

by Charles Todd

• Published in USA  Aug 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 31 reader reviews for A Bitter Truth

Carmen S. (Elkins, Arkansas) (09/08/11)

Good historical fiction
A historical mystery set during World War 1. Really enjoyed the book, fell in love with an Australian chap, hope the author uses him again. A good clean read but not boring. Will read more books from the author.
Margo Z. (Monroe, MI) (09/07/11)

Great Characters and Good Mystery
This is the third novel in the Bess Crawford series, preceded by A Duty to the Dead, and An Impartial Witness. The main character Bess is kind, caring, and sensible as she carries out her duties as a nursing sister during World War I. All of the characters are well drawn, and the author gives an excellent picture of that time in history. Bess gets better and better in each novel. She is the kind of person you would want as a best friend, and the mystery is intriguing and solved by intelligence and determination.
Karen L. (Antelope, CA) (09/05/11)

Bess Crawford- one lucky, plucky protaganist
There are many things to commend about "A Bitter Truth." The authors have a wonderful ability to create multi-dimensional characters and to evoke the sense of what it must have been like during World War I. And the plot twist at the end kept me guessing whodunnit until the big reveal. But I feel the Bess Crawford character suffers in comparison to Todd's other protagonist, Ian Rutledge. Lacking the Inspector's internal demon, Crawford just comes across as a busybody, and a busybody that happens to be in the right place at the right time, at that. She may be a plucky heroine, but the plot relied upon too many external characters and coincidences to keep my interest piqued throughout the novel.
Michele K. (Phenix City, Al)Mildred Terry Lib., Ga (08/31/11)

A Bitter Truth
I enjoyed the third installment of the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd. A complicated plot, although a bit far fetched. It gives one a look into the life of a nurse during WW1. I am looking forward to see what happens with Bess next.
Nancy E. (Sturgeon Bay, wi) (08/30/11)

A Bitter Truth
It was with great anticipation that I approached this book. I had read the preceding two books in the series and have to say that I enjoyed them and their plucky heroine Bess Crawford. While the plot was good, the characters were not as well drawn as in the previous two books. The setting, however, was well done. I would read more in this series, but would not recommend this particular title to mystery fans.
Wendy R. (Riverside, CA) (08/25/11)

Excellent Historical Crime Fiction Novel
New to the series, I was a little concerned at jumping into Charles Todd's Bess Crawford series without having read the previous books. However, my fears were unwarranted. Like with many crime fiction series books, this one stands well on its own. Bess Crawford is a heroine after my own heart. She is intelligent and strong. Set during World War I, the authors (a mother/son team) capture the mood of the times quite well, including the hardship and suffering. In the novel, Bess is unwittingly drawn into the troubles of the Ellis family, and it falls on her to investigate when she becomes the prime suspect in a murder. I thoroughly enjoyed A Bitter Truth and look forward to reading more by these authors.
Kristen H. (Lowell, MA) (08/24/11)

Not usually my cup of tea
I am a true lover of mysteries and not a lover of history but Charles Todd has managed to make me forget that there is historical background in this mystery by using a great main character of Bess Crawford whose loving and nurturing character just makes you want to see how things turn out when she gets involved in messes around her. I am going to go find the books preceding this in the series and read them too.
Charla W. (biloxi, mS) (08/23/11)

A Bitter Truth
This is a wonderful mystery that will keep you guessing until the very end. I had no idea who the bad guy was until the end, which is the way a good mystery should be. Although, this was the first Bess Crawford Mystery I have read, I will be on the look out for these books in the future. This book had believable, interesting characters that you could not help loving. This is a stand alone book and you don't have to read the other books to know what is going on.

Bess Crawford is a murder suspect during World War I. While she is trying to find the real murderer, World War I is raging onward. Anyone that loves a good mystery and loves World War I history would love this book.

• Book Jacket: The Romanovs

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All