Read what people think about Little Black Dress by Susan McBride, and write your own review.

by Susan McBride

• Published in USA  Aug 2011

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Little Black Dress

Renee K. (Salem, UT) (08/21/11)

Little Black Dress
Loved this was difficult for me to get into, having not read anything by Susan McBride, but as soon as I understood her writing pattern of going back and forth between Evie and Toni, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The author was able to weave the life stories of two very different sisters in such a way that I was able to relate to both; then, when I was feeling comfortable about who Evie and Anna were, there was a twist, an unexpected turn, and a surprise to keep me wanting to just finish "this page" and then "this chapter" until I finished the book. Susan's use of descriptive words made it impossible to miss seeing such details as the dimly lit shop of the Parisian gypsy, the spiders actually spinning the golden silk of the little black (once golden) dress, the clarity of the frosty, starlit night in the vineyard, or Evie, sinking deeper while treading harder in the abyss of the Mississippi river. The one person I had trouble envisioning was Toni. I had a difficult time seeing her as a forty-six year old business woman. In my mind's eye, she was always about thirty. I will be anxious to read something else written by Susan.
Susan H. (Los Angeles, Ca) (08/13/11)

Little Black Dress
The little black dress that could... I feel like this is an apt description for the new novel by Susan McBride. A story that seemed to have quite a slow start at the beginning but truly gains more and more momentum, until by the end, I didn’t want to put it down. The premise behind this story is a unique one. The magic of a little black dress that weaves it’s power and links three women’s lives together in an amazing way, bringing with it heartbreak, betrayal, love and ultimately redemption and forgiveness. I did enjoy this book but found it falls short of what it could be. The main downside for me was that I wanted to glimpse deeper into the heart of each woman. I felt like I was given only a surface view and it left me feeling like I had missed out on something that really could have been powerful. I think if the relationships had also been drawn a little more finely it would have given this novel some much added weight and would have hooked me much earlier. This novel takes on a strength of it’s own in it’s later pages as the characters finally begin to emerge more fully and because of this, I can give it a good recommendation. This story would appeal to women who are romantics at heart and perhaps upwards of thirty on. The Little Black Dress is a wonderful reminder as to the power of forgiveness and how love truly can find it’s way...if you are willing.
Laura S. (west friendship, md) (08/09/11)

Little Black Dress
I'm not too demanding when deciding if I like a book. All I ask is that the book not become a chore to read, that I look forward to picking it up and that I regret putting it down. That said, for me, such books are often few and far between. I'm happy to report that with Susan McBride's "Little Black Dress" I've found one! Like the characters in the book, I was drawn into the mystery of the little black dress and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The magic of the dress mixed with the good and the bad in the characters along with the satisfying ending reminds me of a modern day fairy tale. If you like reading a good story that calls you back when you put it down, I highly recommend "Little Black Dress".
Power Reviewer Colleen L. (Casco, ME) (08/02/11)

Little Black Dress
Little Black Dress is a solid, entertaining book. I always love multi-generational books that have their ups and downs but ultimately resolve the issues. The author did a very good job developing the characters so that you felt you knew them well. The "magic" did not work as well for me but I did enjoy the book and its' characters. A good read and one I would recommend to friends.
Marion T. (Palatine, IL) (07/30/11)

Little Black Dress
Though thoroughly predictable, this is a great summer read. The characters are well developed, and the suspense does make it a page turner. After the 2nd chapter I just had to keep reading to find out more about the characters as they developed. Would recommend this book for anyone who is looking for a light, suspenseful read.
Kelley K. (Lancaster, PA) (07/29/11)

Gotta Love a LBD (Little Black Dress)!!!
I enjoyed the Little Black Dress! It was a light, quick read. The story was not predictable (in the beginning!) and proved to be a page turner until the end. The characters were believable even with the magical story line!
Molly B. (Longmont, CO) (07/29/11)

Light summer reading
This is a summer book, but that's about it. The story line was fun, which is the only reason I kept going to the end. The writing was obvious and heavy handed. So much spoon feeding, I felt slightly nauseous! But that's summer books are all about, right? I lowered my expectations and finished the book. That's about all I can say.
Mary Jo K. (Rochester, MN) (07/26/11)

little black dress
I enjoyed the book and thought the characters were well developed and there was even a bit of mystery to it.
There were clues but I didn't really figure it all out until the last couple of chapters. Interesting going back/forth in generations by chapter.
The title is correct for the subject but at first I thought it might be a more "fluffy" book but it had some depth.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    by Brit Bennett

by Paulette Jiles

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.