Read what people think about The Ghost of Milagro Creek by Melanie Sumner, and write your own review.

The Ghost of Milagro Creek

by Melanie Sumner

The Ghost of Milagro Creek by Melanie Sumner X
The Ghost of Milagro Creek by Melanie Sumner

• Published in USA  Jul 2010

There are currently 21 reader reviews for The Ghost of Milagro Creek

Andrea L. (Cottonwood Heights, UT) (08/11/10)

Spiritually rich, thought provoking
This book is rich in symbolism and spirituality, and the author has pulled from universal themes, as well as Native American cosmology. The overriding message of this book is death, but not simply the negative connotation that society has given to the concept of death. The author presents death as part of a duality, as being an opportunity as well as a setback. In this sense, death can be a release from the physical realm, a chance for spiritual rebirth, an opportunity to begin a new life. The characters are engaging and well developed, my favorite being Abuela. In Abuela, the author has found a true voice through which to speak to the reader. Overall it is an enjoyable read, with plenty of material for the reader to think through between chapters.
Gary R. (bolingbrook, IL) (08/02/10)

The Wind Talked
It would be easy enough to say this is a book about two friends,one girl,one grandmother,one tragedy and a host of other characters but that's not all this book is about.the landscape of the Santa Fe and Taos area of New Mexico permeates this book! The culture of the area also plays a big part. I found this book to be a very good read, but it helps if you know a little bit of Spanish the stories within the story were a very nice touch. A very good writer who knows the area she writes about and who writes from the heart, read it!
Judy G. (Carmel, IN) (08/01/10)

Disappointed in the Ghost
Not a page-turner for me. To enjoy you must read in 1-2 sittings which was impossible for me. Book jumped around so much I never became truly engaged. However, I found some incredibly beautiful sections--when Rocky, Mister & Tomas visited the symphony, Mister's questions of Chief as a boy, etc. I am very impressed with this author's ability & potential; but am disappointed in the structure and construction.
Carole C. (Upper Marlboro, MD) (07/28/10)

Ghosts and Rocks can Speak
Murder, miracles and mysticism are as prevalent in Melanie Sumner's "The Ghost of Milagro Creek" as complex characters, consuming love, and a landscape so compelling that it becomes a character. Although the author tells the story through the many voices of her characters, witness statements, police reports, interviews, letters, and petroglyphs, the voice that speaks most eloquently to this reader is that of Abuela Ignacia, a deceased woman who, like other characters, defies simple definition. "Whatever I was: Spanish or Indian, nurse or nutcase, dead or alive -- I would be remember." And, she will.

Non-linear in its structure and haunting in its release of detail, this book would be an excellent choice for book clubs and for anyone who loves flawed but compassionate characters, subtle symbolism and hidden meanings, and a tale whose open-ended conclusion challenges the imagination of the reader.
Terrie J. (Eagan, MN) (07/26/10)

Very Impactful Story
At first this story appears to be a simple story about friends/brothers growing up in New Mexico. The story quickly becomes complicated and heart breaking. It takes some unexpected twists that keep you wondering what could happen next.

The story is told from different characters, mixed with narrative in Spanish. This makes is sometimes hard to follow or perhaps, it adds to the charm of the book.

This would be an excellent book group read - as an added bonus, reading group questions are included at the end of the book!
Robin W. (Marinette, WI) (07/24/10)

I just don't get it.....
I have a tough time understanding a story with mystical and spiritual elements. The story jumped between time frames and was difficult for me to understand. However, I did want to keep reading - I found the characters and the locations compelling.
Marci G. (Sicklerville, New Jersey) (07/21/10)

Dissapointing
I am usually on target with my book choices, but The Ghost of Milagro Creek disappointed me. I enjoyed learning about the Indian and Hispanic culture in Taos, New Mexico but felt I never got a handle on the characters. Overall the book was difficult to follow, very disjointed
Karen H. (Auburn, MA) (07/20/10)

Interesting, but hard to follow
I really wanted to thoroughly enjoy this book! Instead I only got about halfway there. I loved how the story was told through the eyes of the old witch, and how it weaved in the lives of the children. The writing style gave it a fairy-tale/folk-tale feel that drew me in, but the story jumped around in a way that didn't feel cohesive. Sometimes jumping around can add to a story line, but in this case it took away from it. Not 5 stars, but an interesting and different read.

• Book Jacket: Calypso
    Calypso
    by David Sedaris
    David Sedaris' Calypso is every bit as hilarious and irreverent, as clever and incisive, as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Word Is Murder

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E