Read what people think about Stash by David Matthew Klein, and write your own review.

by David Matthew Klein

• Published in USA  Jul 2010

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Stash

Mark C (06/28/10)

Absorbing
In addition to being a "page turner", this book speaks to the issues surrounding the business of drug development, and the use of "recreational" drugs in our society. The book would be ideal for holding a discussion group. The writing keeps the reader engaged and wanting to know the fate of each the characters. I highly recommend this exciting novel.
Kelly P. (Lake Oswego, OR) (06/21/10)

Stash & Consequences
I asked to review this novel due to two interesting jobs I have had with the State of Oregon: I was the first manager of Oregon's Medical Marijuana Program (following a voter initiative in 1999), and I currently work for the Oregon State Police. In the course of these two jobs, I have had numerous contacts with marijuana users (primarily medical but also "recreational"), their physicians, their attorneys, and their families; and also with law enforcement officers trying to deal with the conflicts between state and federal law. I was struck by the even-handed and non-judgmental presentation of the issues explored by the novel, and found it kept my attention throughout. The writing was above average, the story engaging (with some unexpected twists), and the characters were intriguing and well-developed. I also appreciated the dual plot-lines of "legal" and "illegal" drugs, and the many ways one's life can be derailed in an instant. This book is somewhat reminiscent of "Little Children" (in a good way). I would recommend it.
William B. (East Peoria, IL) (06/10/10)

A Strong Marriage
Very enjoyable first novel, compelling story. I would recommend this for book clubs. The ending, in particular, would be good fodder for conversation.
Laura A. (Jeremiah, KY) (06/08/10)

Interesting Book
I thought this book was interesting. It takes a look at how drug use occurs across a wide sector of the population and the various levels of involvement from each (rare occasional user, young/beginner user, moderate user, seller) and law officials who try to stop the sale and use of it altogether. It looks at how all of these people are tied together and at what point is it acceptable and at what point is it not. It would be a good book club choice.
Teresa C. (Pickerington, OH) (06/06/10)

Stash
I really enjoyed this book. It was not only a book that kept my attention but it made me think and put myself in each of the character's shoes. The author did a great job with character development. I was able to feel empathy for each of the characters although they were all flawed, and had made mistakes that impacted not only one another but had far reaching affects. Great book...hard to believe it is the author's first novel!
Lola T. (Broken Arrow, OK) (06/04/10)

Stash
I must start with a disclaimer; that is I have a real problem with a casual treatment of any kind of substance abuse in any entertainment format. That said, once I put aside that prejudice and judged the book, I found it to be a good read. If a book group enjoys books that provoke discussion on ethical and social issues, this might be a good choice. But if the group would rather debate the literary merits of a book, I would not consider it. Ultimately, by the end of the book, I was not sorry that I'd put the time into reading it, since it was entertaining. I just had a problem with the nagging feeling that I was reading a book that perhaps was written with an eye towards being picked up by a motion picture company.
Laura K. (Middletown, NJ) (06/03/10)

Stash
I thought the main characters were self-absorbed and made some poor decisions. The first half of the book was slow, full of unnecessary details, and I had to force myself to keep reading it (never a good thing). The last third of the book was much more intriguing, I was anxious to find out what would happen next.
Amellia H. (Omaha, Nebraska) (05/27/10)

Interesting choice of storylines...
I was captured by the storylines in this book from the minute I read about it. The idea of a woman involved in an accident after smoking pot, and a husband who is trying to rationalize the use of a drug for other purposes. I must admit as the story juggled the storylines, I felt myself speed reading through the husband's ordeal with the drug company. I did not feel this part of the story was as compelling as the wife's story. As I read I was looking for a turning point or a "oh my gosh" moment in the book which didn't happen. This left me slightly disappointed, however the overall story was enjoyable - just not exactly what I was expecting.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

A library is thought in cold storage

The Big Holiday Wordplay: