Read what people think about Ten Minutes from Home by Beth Greenfield, and write your own review.

A Memoir

by Beth Greenfield

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Ten Minutes from Home

Carol N. (San Jose, CA) (06/02/10)

Ten Minutes from Home by Beth Greenfield
This memoir, written through the eyes of a young girl and eventually a young woman, evoked considerable emotion on the part of this reviewer. Having had a dear friend go through a similar situation this past year, made this book an arduous read. Greenfield handles this topic of incredible sorrow with lyricism and poise that made a difficult subject bearable. "Ten Minutes from Home" takes you through Beth’s feelings of tragedy, remorse, hope, courage, and finally ends with a peace she so richly deserves...yes, even when we don't expect it, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Lynne B. (S. Lake Tahoe, CA) (05/31/10)

Ten Minutes from Home
This book stirs your emotions in a way that not many books usually do. I found myself feeling a lot of the pain that Beth and her family were experiencing through the excellent characterization and description of their emotional state. This is a book especially for those who want to try and understand the feelings of loss that people might have following the death of a loved one. Beth clearly describes the difficulties of dealing with not only the loss but the possible guilt of being a survivor and feeling responsible for providing support to other family members and friends suffering from the same loss. I have always felt uncomfortable in talking to someone who has suffered a deep loss and through Beth's book I think I will have a better understanding of how to respond. I would also like to commend Beth Greenfield on being able to put this painful memory into a story that can help not only herself but other people in similar situations see the way to recovery.
Deborah H. (Waco, TX) (05/30/10)

Ten Minutes from Home
Beth Greenfield's first book relives the summer of loss following the death of her younger brother and her best friend. Their whole family is unable to grieve and morn, each one shutting out the other members. In the introduction, we meet Kiki, the author's partner, and throug out the book you are left wondering if and when we will discover the author's sexual preference leaving the reader a bit confused.
This book might appeal to young adults who are also dealing with grief and loss .
Kimberli M. (Jessup, MD) (05/20/10)

Written Like Fiction
I really enjoyed this book. While I knew it was a memoir, the book flowed like a fiction novel. It really explored what happens to families after tragedy strikes. It was really interesting to see how those involved dealt with the tragedy and continued with their lives. I would definitely recommend this book. I also think it would be an interesting book for a book club.
Marti F. (Coralville, IA) (05/18/10)

Ten Minutes From Home
As the title says, the author was ten minutes from her home when, at 12 years old, she was involved in a car crash which killed her younger brother and also her best friend. She herself was injured and spent some months recuperating. The author does an excellent job describing poignantly and openly how these deaths affected her as she navigated her way through junior high and high school. She also relates some of how her parents grieved and how that affected the family dynamics. I found the book to be very moving and interesting. I only wish that I knew how the author is doing today, how this event is playing out in her adult life. I would definitely recommend this book as valuable reading.
Donna L. (Woodstock, MD) (05/12/10)

Left me wanting more...
Beth Geenfield delivers a raw and honest memoir that I enjoyed reading for both its story and style. Similar to the Glass Castle, I feel that the author lets you into places in her life that are so amazingly personal (yet told as a story, not an autobiography) that you can almost feel apart of it. This left me crying at times, but as others have mentioned, wanting more at the end. Her story ended a little early but I don't feel like it takes away from what she gave us.
Kitty H. (Pasadena, CA) (05/10/10)

A Personal Journey of Grief
An accident occurs just "ten minutes from home", but a young girl's personal journey through loss and sorrow and coming of age takes much longer. While this is a genre many people seem drawn to, and the author is a skillful writer, it would not be my choice.
Power Reviewer Becky H. (Chicago, IL) (05/01/10)

fascinating, but depressing
I almost quit reading this book detailing the searing grief when the author's brother and best friend are killed in a car accident. It was overwhelming to read the devastation of the loss in her family. I could only read in small snatches, although there was something compelling that kept bringing me back to read more. This book might be a panacea to someone who has suffered a similar loss.

One Month Free Membership