Read what people think about The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw, and write your own review.

by Holly LeCraw

• Published in USA  Apr 2010

There are currently 35 reader reviews for The Swimming Pool

Betsy R. (Gig Harbor, WA) (04/08/10)

The Swimming Pool
When I received this book, I thought it would be something I would really like-but it wasn't. Although I could appreciate the good writing at times, I didn't care about the main characters or even about the mystery embedded in the story. I am a high school librarian and am always looking for books that would interest my students, but I don't think this one would. I hate saying anything negative about a new author, but this book just didn't do it for me.
Mary Q. (Greeley, CO) (04/05/10)

Debut Novel a Nice Surprise
This beautifully written and well constructed novel pulled me right in. The characters had their own distinctive voices and I felt empathy for each one. Reading it at times took a little patience and concentration because the events of the story and the characters' personalities were very slowly revealed in a flip-flopping way between then and now. That took a little getting used to, but I eventually liked that aspect and felt it added depth to the book as a whole. The best thing about this book, though, is the author's sensual and poetic writing style, and I really will look forward to her next effort. Highly recommended!
Sharon S. (Stanley, N.C.) (03/22/10)

"The Swimming Pool" by Holly Lecraw
Holly Lecraw's first novel "The Swimming Pool" is a story of two families who's lives will become intertwined for years to come due to an affair. Unbeknown to these families this affair will result in not only love but secrets,lies, murder and lives changed forever. Hold on for a ride of twists and turns that will keep you captivated to the end !!!
Lecraw wrote a novel that will surely become a favorite of book clubs everywhere !!
Nikki R. (Irvine, CA) (03/17/10)

Seduced by the Swimming Pool
I really enjoyed the book and was quite frankly amazed at how the author was recounting the character's thoughts as she wove an ingenious and startling twist into the plot. This book hits you on many levels and would probably be best as a lady read. It has more depth than many books directed at ladies and yet is a quick and entertaining experience.
Heather F. (Tulsa, OK) (03/17/10)

The Swimming Pool
This book drew me in right on its opening pages. There was a sense of mystery and of impending doom that kept me turning pages long after "reading time' was over. The characters were well fleshed out and my sympathies were with each of them in turn. As the story unfolded, I was caught up in the tangled lives surprised at the twists and turns. A page turner to the end!
Marcia S. (Hendersonville, NC) (03/14/10)

Debut novel will create following for this author
The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw reveals a new author with a great talent for weaving a tale with a beautiful lyrical narrative. Secrets families keep can both protect and deepen wounds. The novel will generate much discussion with book groups about timing of confessions and the domino effect of truths withheld. LeCraw's writing grabs the reader with its intensity and passion and makes this book hard to put down. She will be on my list for future reads.
Bonnie B. (Fairbanks, AK) (03/12/10)

Beautiful Writing, Prosaic Content
This is a story of two families, each with secrets. Callie and Jed are brother and sister who have lived with sorrow. Their mother, Betsy, was murdered and their father, Cecil, died shortly thereafter. At the time of Betsy's death, Cecil was having an affair with Marcella. When the book opens, Jed visits Marcella to ask her some questions about his parents. They end up having an affair. The book is written in beautiful language but the plot is prosaic and does not seem worthy of the 300 pages. I look forward to further books by this author because of her beautiful writing.
Kathy S. (Danbury, CT) (03/09/10)

The Swimming Pool
This book started out slowly, and I kept waiting for the plot to kick in. The characters were flat and did not draw me into their world. Expanding Callie's story may have improved the story line. Definitely not a page turner; I had to force myself to finish it.

• Book Jacket: All We Have Left
    by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: