Read what people think about The Man From Saigon by Marti Leimbach, and write your own review.

The Man From Saigon

by Marti Leimbach

The Man From Saigon by Marti Leimbach

• Published in USA  Feb 2010

There are currently 20 reader reviews for The Man From Saigon

Power Reviewer mainlinebooker (03/10/10)

The exclamation that says it all!
Riveting and vivid are two words that come to my mind. The visual imagery that exploded in my mind from reading this made me hungry for every word. She painted a detailed landscape so lush and dense making me feel I was thrust alive inside this horrific world.
Andrea L. (Cottonwood Heights, UT) (03/09/10)

I love a fiction book I can learn from
This novel is an excellent learning opportunity as well as an involving read. Learning about the Vietnam war as well as vicariously experiencing how jarring and difficult it is to be a journalist in a war zone is a unique opportunity. The author has skillfully woven the complexities of the protagonist's relationships, her struggles for recognition and equality, and intrigue against the backdrop of a violent bloody war.
Hydee F. (Salt Lake City, Utah) (03/08/10)

Unexpectedly riveting
I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book based upon the setting, the Vietnam War isn't exactly my favorite setting for historical fiction, but I found myself unable to put his book down once I got into it. The subplots are interesting, and valuable, and I really came to care about Susan and Son. In the end, I found myself deeply saddened it was over, and wanted more!
Belma M. (Odessa, Texas) (03/03/10)

The Man from Saigon
This was a great read! The author made me feel like I was there with the characters. If you're looking for a book to keep your heart racing this is the book for you. I will definitely recommend this book to friends.
Sharon A. (Gainesville, FL) (03/02/10)

Going back in time
Well written story about the Viet Nam era from the perspective of a reporter from a female magazine. It gave me insight into the world of war from those who experience it first hand. So many who have been immersed in war don't share because of the horrors they experienced and this story certainly shows the inner lives of those who were there. The book flowed well except sometimes the change in time and characters took extra thought to keep track of. I would definitely recommend to others and will share my copy with friends.
Katherine W. (El Sobrante, CA) (03/02/10)

Jungle Love
Although I was slow to warm up to "The Man From Saigon", by the time I was well into the narrative, the book was almost impossible to put down. Marti Lembach's writing was so evocative of the suffocating heat found in the Viet Nam jungle that I found myself breaking out into a sweat and getting concerned that I might come down with foot rot This novel is an artful tapestry in which a love story, espionage and historical and political fiction are woven together seamlessly.
Marion T. (Palatine, IL) (02/25/10)

The Man from Saigon
Growing up in the Vietnam era with the graft film on TV every evening, and the pictures in every magazine, I was looking forward to reading this book. Though I found the characters very one dimensional, I was pulled into this book by the descriptions of Vietnam both Saigon and the jungle. It was well worth the read to understand the life that was going on during those years. I think this would be a great book club selection.
Linda C. (Carlisle, MA) (02/20/10)

The Man From Saigon
From the very first paragraph I was harshly pulled into the world of the Vietnam war. With an incredible ability to enable the reader the experience every setting to the fullest, Marti Leimbach bombarded all of my senses. Because of these details, I was masterfully drawn into every experience in this surrealistic setting of war. It was a story of relationships and humanity fitting into a war zone. Relationships were filled with mystery and intrigue that come and go within the constant that is war. It is a war novel that a woman can experience in a way most don't achieve. An excellent read that keeps the reader riveted!

Smoke
    by Dan Vyleta
  • Book Jacket: Golden Hill
    Golden Hill
    by Francis Spufford
  • Book Jacket: Midnight at the Electric
    Midnight at the Electric
    by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    The world changes, but humanity stays the same. Whether a book takes place in the year 1510 or 2010,...

Win The Library of Light and Shadow

The Library of Light and Shadow by M.J. Rose

The Almost Sisters

A powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South.

T H Are B T O