Read what people think about The Book of Illumination by Mary Ann Winkowski, and write your own review.

A Novel from the Ghost Files

by Mary Ann Winkowski

• Readers' rating:

• Published in USA  Oct 2009

There are currently 17 reader reviews for The Book of Illumination

Donna W. (Hamilton, NJ) (11/13/09)

The Book of Illumination
The Book of Illumination: A Novel from the Ghost Files has all the things I like; ghosts, mystery, libraries, archives with precious things, clever art thieves, art history, book binding, unrequited love, Boston Brahmins, and an illuminated manuscript with ghost monks from the 16th century attached. What more could I want? This is a lovely, light Sunday read.
Rosario D. (South El Monte, CA) (10/29/09)

I couldn't put it down!
I highly recommend this book to anyone. If you enjoy thrillers and mysteries you have to read this book, throw in the paranormal and you have a very enjoyable read. I just couldn't put it down. It was fun and refreshing. Perfect ghost story.
Mary D. (Claremont, CA) (10/23/09)

The Book of Illumination
While I did enjoy reading The Book of Illumination, I was disappointed in two things: 1) there certainly was not the amount of ghostly interaction that I was anticipating; 2) I was hoping for more historical background concerning old books and book restoration. The latter was touched upon, but just enough to get my interest up and then it was over! I would have enjoyed knowing more about the ghosts, their lives, etc.

Although I found Anza's attachment to the father of her son to be a bit immature, I was very appreciative of the fact that everyone, including the stepmom, was pulling together to put the well-being of Declan first, which is unusual in today's world.

This book was an easy read and very enjoyable. But I hope that any future works contain more information and interaction with the ghosts, and more history of whatever historical subject is used.
Barb W. (Mechanicsburg, PA) (10/20/09)

an enjoyable read
I enjoyed this book more than I expected to, although the ending seemed a bit hurried and anti-climactic. The main characters were all believable, and the story itself kept me wondering what would happen next. I hope this is the first in a series, as I would love to read more about Anza and Henry!
RoseMary W. (Boardman, OH) (10/13/09)

The book of Illumination
I found "The Book of Illumination" to be a rather disappointing read. I was anticipating a page-turning novel filled with suspense, but, instead, found one filled with needless detail. It was an easy book to read but also one that I found easy to put down. Unfortunately, this book did not capture my interest.
Crystal F. (CA) (10/13/09)

Drawn into the story by the very first sentence
The Book of Illumination is an interesting, clean cut book, and a swift read. Single mother, Speranza (Anza for short) O’Malley, tells the story. I experienced the events as Anza had and liked the way timelines were weaved.

Drawn into the story by the very first sentence, “I should not have answered the phone,” made me immediately wonder why and want to know more.

I instantly fell for Johnny “Woolsie” Graby, the charming old butler. His part involved a second book, a children's book that was misplaced. His story was separate from the main course but his resolution allowed for an easier ending, brought calm to the chaos of the entire story.

My favorite part with the monks was in chapter twenty-two, when they explained the creation of the book…“A spell for the eye weaved we, letters of magic to sanctify the page as the flower sanctifies the meadow and of the bird the air”…

There were ghost but this was not a tale of horror in the slightest. This was a mystery with a supernatural twist, a whodunit kind of mystery/drama. There was no sex or gore/graphic violence, which was extremely nice.

Cop and robber, FBI, and similar stories are usually not my kind. This book kept this at a distance, Anza is not a cop so her involvement in catching the robber’(s) was as a common citizen. An A for me.

The TV show, Ghost Whisper does come into mind when reading. One difference is that Anza can not only see the, “light,” but can summon it to allow earth-bound spirits entrance.

The Book of Illumination was a great read with well-formed characters. I quite enjoyed it and would recommend it as a must read. I look forward to more fiction from, Mary Ann Winkowski and Maureen Foley.
Power Reviewer Catherine H. (Nashua, NH) (10/13/09)

It was the night before Halloween...
Don't expect to be scarred but rather spent a good time with some friendly and sometimes quite humorous ghosts, along with learning some interesting insights about book binding.

I did like Anza - the main character - a down to earth everyday mom. My only regret: not enough ghosts actions.
Sandy P. (Gainesville, FL) (10/11/09)

Worth reading
Nice blend of mystery and history. The ending could have been better. It seemed anti-climactic but believable. It did everything I ask a book to do....teach me something I didn't know yesterday and provide entertainment. Very enjoyable read after a day at work but not riveting.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning