Read what people think about Greasing the Piñata by Tim Maleeny, and write your own review.

Greasing the Piñata

by Tim Maleeny

Greasing the Piñata

• Published in USA  Dec 2008
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Greasing the Piñata

Talya (11/05/08)

Greasing the Piñata - Cape Weathers, PI
This is the third and in my opinion, the best Cape Weathers' Investigation novel. The characters are all very unique, including the reappearance of Sally, the beautiful trained assassin sidekick. The novel includes politics, drugs, the environment, and murder--everything to make a great crime novel. I hope to see more from Tim Maleeny and Cape Weathers.
Brenda (10/22/08)

Fun but forgettable
I found this book to be a bit lacking. The story line is fun, but really needs to be tightened up. I feel that the author was trying to pack too many ideas into one story. There are a lot of characters and it became confusing trying to keep them all straight, I don't think they were developed enough as characters to care about them, with the exception of the main two. There were some really great "one-liners" in the book and that kept it fun. But... the short chapters, instead of keeping the book moving, I felt slowed it down for me. It skipped around too much, I would have to look backwards to try to figure out who we were talking about now, especially if I was picking it up a day or so after the last time I read from it.

I think there is real potential for a good fun read, but I don't think it was achieved.
Patricia (10/19/08)

Greasing The Pinata
As a voracious reader of mystery stories, I was intrigued by the characters, a male PI and his female side kick, an Asian Martial Arts protector. The setting occurred in the US as well as Mexico and the theme naturally involved drugs. I found the author has a knack for very unconventional characters and this was somewhat off putting to me. I enjoy unconventional characters but not every character needs a strange trait.

The storyline was certainly current with a tie into the environment but much of the important parts of the story were developed through conversation as oppose to action. I guess I like my characters to do it the old fashion way, the gum shoe way.

The book was well written and very readable. The thesis was a new twist on the drug cartels but this book did not make my all time ten best list.
Henrietta (10/19/08)

'Greasing the Pinate
Maleeny gives us a "slice of life" in Mob circles in this fictional account of revenge, torture, and murder. Balancing the violence and plethora of four-letter words, detective Cape Weathers brings wit and intelligence in brief reprieves. This story is a quick read, a fast-paced thriller with well drawn characters and vivid descriptions.
Cape and Sally, his Chinese ally, make an intriguing couple.

I would not recommend this book to either of my book clubs, however, because graphic torture scenes and bad language are not generally appreciated.
Jill (10/16/08)

FUN, FAST AND EASY!
Anything can happen in Mexico. And pretty much everything happens to P.I. Cape Weathers in a mystery that starts with a couple of dead bodies in a golf course water hazard and doesn’t end until the Mexican Mafia, a Chinese Triad alum and a few U.S. politicians have made an appearance—and gotten a little sweaty, testy or dead.
All the while, Weathers keeps batting at the piñata that is his case: Who killed his client’s father and brother and why?
This Mexican party has Weathers getting fairly beaten around himself in a mystery that, chapter by chapter, will keep you reading at break-finger pace!
Enjoy this one on your own—while not a beach read by any stretch, this is a novel much more suited to personal enjoyment than a deep discussion by your local book club. Tim Maleeny’s Cape Weathers is a guy you want to savor on your own; and at your own pace. Like your first boyfriend, he probably won’t stand up to a lot of in-depth scrutiny, but he is a hell of a lot of fun!
Power Reviewer Gary (10/13/08)

greasing the pinata
Cape Weathers, ex reporter turned P.I.,takes on a case involving politicians,mafiosi,and the drug cartel,for his client,which takes him from his home base of San Francisco to Mexico. Enlisting the aid of his friend Sally, he encounters adventures and plot twists to keep you guessing till the end! A very enjoyable read. A straight ahead P.I. mystery, Poison Pen Press really impresses with their quality reads. I might even join the mystery of the month club. With a line like,"the moon was a full as a drunkards bladder" how can you miss! read it!
Sue (10/13/08)

Disappointed
Maleeny's writing style is bright and fresh, pulling the reader into the story from page 1. It reminded me of Lee Child's thrillers. Things quickly take a downturn as murders and torture are described in sickening detail. One eye-gouging sequence keeps returning to my mind, and I only want to forget it. Gave up half-way through the book after repeated gross-outs. Yeech.
Joanne (10/10/08)

Greasing the Pinata by Tim Maleeny
The author's writing style, short chapters with attention grabbing first sentences and intriguing final lines,makes the story move right along. Private investigator Cape Weathers and his associates, trained by the Hong Kong Triad Sally and commitedly green Linda, comprise an oddly likable core trio.

This case is set primarily in San Francisco and Mexico. The plot revolves around current issues but is peppered with just the right amount of testosterone and old gumshoe style metaphors. Greasing the Pinata should appeal to readers who enjoy action mysteries. It might be interesting to see this author weave Cape and Sally into a more psychologically suspenseful who-dunnit in a future tale.

• Book Jacket: A Certain Age

Falling
    by Jane Green

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All