Read what people think about Holding My Breath by Sidura Ludwig, and write your own review.

by Sidura Ludwig

• Published in USA  Aug 2008

There are currently 19 reader reviews for Holding My Breath

Sabrina (07/26/08)

Holding My Breath by Sidura Ludwig
Overall, this was an OK novel. The author did a great job in capturing the essence of this family. The characters and storyline seemed realistic as if the reader was invited into to take a personal glimpse into real lives. However, I steadily became frustrated and disappointed by the lack of development of the characters and the story. I felt like pieces were missing that weren't shared and needed to be shared about these people. Also, I found myself wanting to learn more about the culture and religious practices that were so much a part of their lives but not fully explained to an outsider such as myself. The book had lots of potential that was not attained to increase it's enjoyment.
Lynne (07/01/08)

Kept
Holding My Breath seemed to me 18 chapters of randomness. The different characters are described in sometimes creative and fun detail, but the characters do not merge together to tell a defining story. The women struggle with depression, and relationships and how to find "their" happiness and their solutions are told too briefly and too easily. There was never a real connection to any of the characters as they never truly opened up in the book. I would have a hard time telling a friend to read the book.
Kristina (06/27/08)

Don't hold your breath...
The storyline in this novel was interesting enough to hold my attention at times, but the writing style was somewhat choppy. The book was not organized as well as it could have been, and there were several storylines touched on but not fully developed. Character development was another area that lacked. You get to know several characters, but none of them well. When all is said and done, it’s a decent read, but not fantastic. Leave it on your nightstand, and take something else to the beach.
Elizabeth (06/21/08)

Holding My Breath
I really enjoyed this book. It gave me a chance to read about a culture I know very little about. I thought the relationships and the differences between the women in this family were well explored. It was good to see the growth that Beth went through from childhood to adulthood and how she came about making the right choice for herself.
Elizabeth (06/19/08)

Characters in a changing cultural landscape
I really enjoyed "Holding My Breath". I was trying to read it during a very busy couple of weeks, but I thought about it a lot while I was away from it. The characters seemed like real people to me, and I think the author did a nice job showing how growing up during changing social times can make for conflicting values. I'd love to know what happens to the characters after the book ended. I would recommend this book to others, and I think it would make a good book for book club discussion.
Theresa (06/16/08)

Sooooooo good!
I love this book- Holding my Breath. This book was well put in words!!! I instantly fell in love with all of the characters!! and it was VERY easy to get lost in their stories!!! I love this book and I'm sure I'll read it again!
Meredith (06/13/08)

Holding My Breath
This book ended up surprising me and I really enjoyed it a lot. I became engrossed with Beth and her family as she grew up and the different things that the family went through and experienced. The book had a similar vibe as "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" to me which is an amazing book as well. This is a book that you'll want to keep reading to find out what happens to each of the family members throughout their lives. Gives you a glimpse into a Jewish family in Canada and I like the fact that it was set there as most books I read are based in United States. I highly recommend it!
Sylvia (06/13/08)

I Held My Breath
I liked this book a lot...the problem is I wanted to love it a lot. The first chapter was so well written and compelling that my expectations might have been too high. I thought the characters, who had acted consistently throughout the story changed too rapidly in the book's rather rushed ending. The unique setting was fresh and made this coming of age story worthy. Good...not great.

• Book Jacket: Barkskins
    Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All