Read what people think about Evening Is the Whole Day by Preeta Samarasan, and write your own review.

by Preeta Samarasan

• Published in USA  May 2008

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Evening Is the Whole Day

beaperson (01/29/11)

Wonderful writer
I couldn't put this book down, which is saying a lot. The detail was amazing, the characters so well drawn. I only wish there had been some bit of joy, some hope; a multi-layered, beautifully done tragedy.
Barbara (06/11/08)

Amazing debut novel
Evening is the Whole Day is a beautifully written novel about a wealthy Indian family in Malaysia. Everything is not as it seems in this epic family saga and Samarasan utilizes rich prose and well-developed characters in unveiling the many layers of the families dark secrets. The story is told from various points of view in a seamless and unconfusing way. A wonderful book!
Joanne (05/23/08)

Not a Compelling Beginning....
I just couldn't get into this book, perhaps because it requires more time than I was willing to give. The first chapter just wasn't compelling enough to continue. Sorry but I really didn't like this one at all.
Mary Buss (05/07/08)

Evening is the Whole Day
I am enjoying the book very much.
Anita (05/02/08)

Nothing Matters
This book was interesting in that it gives an intimate picture about the culture and history of Malaysia, a country of which I know little. Her descriptions of everyday life are beautiful and really capture the moment in time. However, I found that there was too much detail which was unnecessary and somewhat boring. I was also put off by use of foreign words that were not explained. Also I couldn't relate with the characters and didn't really care what happened to them.
Wendy (04/28/08)

Evening Is the Whole Day
This is an excellent, horrible book. It is wonderfully written and very engaging. The story is basically told in reverse; we know what happens but not necessarily why until the last few chapters. The plot and characters truly embody the idea of the "sins of the fathers." No one in the book is blameless and few are likable, and yet it is too engaging to put down. The disturbing issues of political climate, class issues and headline crimes in Malaysia are a backdrop for the even more unsettling relationships between husband and wife, lover and lover, parent and child, brother and sister, old and young, servant and landowner. The book does end with some hope and is well worth the read! There were times when I was revolted and disgusted, but I kept on reading.
Linda (04/26/08)

Evening Is The Whole Day
Set in Malaysia, the novel revolves around one immigrant Indian family and yet includes so much more--history, politics, race, class, and gender issues. Samarasan's creative imagery paints vivid pictures. In the scene where Amma discovers her suitor is missing the sense of smell because he is blithely unaware of the horrendous odor permeating the dining room, Samarasan writes "In the heavens a chorus of angels with clothes pegs on their ethereal noses began to sing..." Telling the story "in reverse" is akin to visiting a psychiatrist, as we begin to see how and why things are the way they are. Containing a touch of magical realism, this book is a wonderful, fascinating read.
Kate (04/24/08)

Evening Is the Whole Day
Reading this novel was enjoyable and frustrating at the same time. The author had magical and poetic moments but much of the novel was seeped in extraneous detail that did not relate to, or help the story. It shows the true side of human nature but failed to acknowledge my belief that every person has "good" in them. Without that balance, the characters had no appeal or reason for me to care about them. I believe this author shows promise as a writer but I was a bit disappointed with this novel.

• Book Jacket: A Certain Age

Falling
    by Jane Green

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All