Read what people think about Talk of the Town by Lisa Wingate, and write your own review.

by Lisa Wingate

• Readers' rating:

• Published in USA  Feb 2008

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Talk of the Town

Linda (01/24/08)

Talk of the Town Review
I chose this book because I am a transplanted resident of Texas, having come from Nebraska. I thought it was a sweet book and the characters are really fun. There isn't much substance here, just mindless entertainment, good for a night in front of the fireplace with a blanket and a kitty. Unfortunately, I haven't met anyone like the people in the book since I have lived in Houston --:)
Julie (12/27/07)

Surprise
When I got this book, I had low expectations. The cover and summary made the book seem like chick-lit, which is not at all my style. I was very ready to not like this book. So imagine my surprise when I found myself enjoying it. I loved how fully the author developed her characters, and I fell in love with all of them. She even made me appreciate small towns. This book was funny and heartwarming.
The story made me think a lot about a life lived without taking chances.
Marta (12/17/07)

Small town gossip...big city gossip
I really enjoyed reading Talk of the Town by Lisa Wingate. It was a sweet story and the plot was predictable. What I really liked was the characters. I wanted to actually meet the two main characters and be friends with them. It was a Christian book but wasn't preachy - just fun and full of truths to live by. I liked this book so much that I am going to read more of Ms. Wingate's books.
Deb (12/16/07)

A tickle your ribs sort of book by an outstanding Christian wordsmith
I loved this book, Talk of the Town, for a number of reasons, but the main ones are that Daily, TX, is a lot like my little town (I don't think it is a roman a clef), I really enjoy Lisa Wingate's writing, and the book was just downright fun to read. Some might consider the way the book jumps back and forth between viewpoints distracting, but I am not one of them:) It is a highly recommended book in this particular genre.
Carolyn (12/15/07)

Not exactly the talk of the town
This is a pleasant story told with humor. There are some interesting characters, although the reader never really learns very much about one significant man. The two main characters who narrate the book both refer occasionally to their belief in God, and the need to accept God's hand in their lives. I don't think this novel offers much fuel for book club discussion, but is fine for someone who wants to spend a few hours reading a light romance.
Mary (12/07/07)

Talk of the Town
I found this book to be a fun story. It reminded me of a cross between Lorna Landvik and Jan Karon's style of writing. There were a spots where I thought the story could move along a little quicker, however I was never actually bored. The author's description of characters was humorous and made me care about the outcome of the story.
Mary
John (12/05/07)

My review on
I liked how the author used a first person narrative to tell the story of Mandalay Florentino, a big city reporter, who goes to arrange a comment for a young singer in the small town of Daily, Texas. Even though this book is about a female singer who tried to make it big in a important show and to hopefully get a recording contract, It is too much like a "Hollywood" story. I personally feel that this book is not for me.
Power Reviewer Madeline (12/03/07)

A Nice Story
This is an old-fashioned, wholesome type story with the modern twist of reality TV. It's a light and predictable read, but it's sweet, without being sappy, and its characters are fun and feisty. The scene with Imagene and the roller coaster is a hoot!

Stalin's Daughter

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All