Read what people think about The Headmaster's Wife by Thomas Christopher Greene, and write your own review.

Summary | Discuss | Reviews | More Information | More Books

by Thomas Christopher Greene

• Published in USA  Feb 2015

There are currently 32 reader reviews for The Headmaster's Wife

pamelathereader (05/18/15)

Think and discuss!
I found lots to like and think about in this book. The unfolding story of the disintegrating marriage of a prep school headmaster and his wife was touching and involving. Their stories, told in two parts, encourage us to examine the choices people make, what love in its various forms causes us to do, and the impact a tragedy has.

Greene's writing suits his story; lovely and evocative. I'll recommend this to my book club as I think my reaction won't be the same for every reader, which should make for a good discussion.
Sherilyn (05/17/15)

compulsively readable
I enjoyed reading this book primarily because of the writing. Beautifully written but with a great story. The story is told using the voices of the three primary characters. Each sees events that occurred in their lives through a different lens. You come to know and understand how broken/dysfunctional the three are and yet how each chooses to address and deal with the grief experienced in their life.

I loved everything about this book EXCEPT the ending. I wanted and needed greater closure.
Pam (05/09/15)

Very good, but . . .
I love reading a well-written book (as this was) with a unique story line (as this has) and especially one where I only THINK I know what is coming next (which was also true of The Headmaster's Wife). I thoroughly enjoyed reading this in one day (a three-hour flight). It was an easy read, with a compelling plot, and quite surprising twists and turns. If the ending had been more believable (or at least more satisfying) I would have given it five stars. The acknowledgements were very enlightening at the end, however, and helped to clear some of my unsettled thoughts about the novel. That being said, I plan to read more of Greene and have no doubt I will discover some five stars there.
Janis (05/06/15)

The Headmaster' Wife
I received The Headmaster's Wife through First Impressions from Book Browse, and I have shared it with many of my reading friends. From the mysterious first chapter to the end, it kept us engaged. It reminded me of Lolita and A Perfect Mind. It made me grieve with Dick Ives. It made me sympathize with his wife. Once I finished it, because I read it quickly in less than fifteen hours, I reread it. Its remarkable twists and turns even held my interest a second time. It is beautifully written, but sad. The unraveling of lives is never a pleasant experience to watch or read, but this is a compelling story. I highly recommend it, and I have definitely become a fan of author Thomas Christopher Greene..
Alice S (04/28/15)

Psychological novel
An accomplished storyteller, Greene knows how to write an engrossing psychological novel.It has mystery and surprises and nothing in this book is what it seems. Just when you think you know what will happen next, you realize you don't have a clue.
reene s (04/23/15)

The Headmaster's Wife
The book begins as an easy reader, but the reader soon finds themselves in the middle of love, grief, hopelessness and surprises. Told by two narrators, both flawed, we are set up to know there is more to come. Set in the beautiful countryside, the weather, the river all become metaphors for life's vagaries. The story of Arthur and Elizabeth and where it all went wrong. I would recommend the book.
Power Reviewer Judy G (04/22/15)

The book has it all
Love, romance, rejection, betrayal, revenge, beauty, bitterness, hopelessness, intrigue . . . and the list goes on. I don't read romance novels; this novel had just enough delightful romance mixed with suspense to keep me hooked and reading as quickly as possible to the conclusion. You will enjoy this read! Well done.
Power Reviewer lucyb (04/21/15)

The Headmaster's Wife
I had a hard time understanding everything about this book. I had to read it a second time in order to fully base my knowledge of what I had read. I really didn't like this book very much.

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review