Read what people think about Friendship Bread by Darien Gee, and write your own review.

by Darien Gee

• Published in USA  Apr 2011

There are currently 23 reader reviews for Friendship Bread

Becky Dodd (12/27/11)

Bread baking and heart warming...
After reading everyone's review, I can't believe how nice everyone is being to this writer. I did like the book very much and finished it. I did enjoy the references to baking and especially Madeline's Tea Salon. I was hooked in to the 5 or 6 main characters and I did care about what "happened next". BUT, there were too many peripheral characters too really keep up with or care about. The book was well written though and managed to tie all together, however, if you're not into baking then you're going to get bogged down in the minutia of starter dough, and so forth.
By the time I'd finished the book I'd eaten like 5 of my mother's home made yeast rolls dreaming they were Amish Friendship Breads! LOL, I did appreciate the lack of graphic sexual reference and the only 1 or 2 uses of profanity which matters to me.
I enjoyed it. It was a fairly easy read despite the numerous characters, but not gripping or a real page turner.
To me the main offering this book has is the pain of a parent losing a child. I think the book could have focused more on that pain and the healing of that family, without all the lesser character story lines.
Laura A. (Jeremiah, KY) (04/08/11)

Very Good Book
I really enjoyed "Friendship Bread" by Darien Gee. We don't always end up on the road we think that we are meant to travel and this books shows us that sometimes something wonderful can come from that. It also shows us how healing "friendships" can be when we are in need. Truly a good read.
Betsy R. (Gig Harbor, WA) (03/31/11)

Sweet and endearing
I did like this book as it had great characters and a setting that drew me in. I had to overcome my bias against books written in the present tense, but once I did, it was a book worth reading. I did not give it a higher rating as I have read other books that seemed similar but I still would recommend it and will pass my copy on to others.
Elaine B. (franklin, MA) (03/30/11)

A Lesson in Friendship
"Friendship Bread" (the book and the cake) is nourishment for the soul. Sometimes as we grow older and busier and less patient we forget the healing power of friendship. This book shows us the many types and degrees of friendship that can make life worth living even in the worst of times. "Friendship Bread" subtly seduces you, I couldn't put it down! Darien Gee shows us the power of friendship and especially the power and healing in forgiveness.
Elisabeth W. (Durham, NC) (03/26/11)

Pseudo Jan Karon
Friendship Bread is an easy to read novel about women in a small town who find their footing after significant emotional losses. Although FB is enjoyable and has a fun premise, what happens as each character journeys back from her loss is very predictable, to the point where I was rolling my eyes. The second half of FB has the feel of a Jan Karon novel, but with a lot more willing suspension of disbelief. If you are looking for an easy read where all issues are tied up with a perfect, happy bow, you will enjoy Friendship Bread. This is definitely fiction written for a middle aged female audience.
Cheryl K. (Naples, FL) (03/22/11)

Friendship Bread
Darien Gee's novel was one of the most uplifting books I have read. The characters from the small town of Avalon attach themselves to the reader in a comforting, honest way. I felt as if I were inside the minds and hearts of each one, experiencing pain, grief, love and ultimately friendship. I could "smell" the aroma from each loaf of "Friendship Bread" baked and cannot wait to start my own.

This book will appeal to young and old, and should be great for discussion at book clubs.
Kelley K. (Lancaster, PA) (03/19/11)

A very "sweet" book!
If you are looking for a feel good book sprinkled with food references, Friendship Bread is your book! The book follows several women which have experienced a loss of some sort. Initially, I had a problem with the many charters introduced. The book would be great for a long flight (basically. Don't put the book down for a period of time). It is tough to remember the characters and their issues. It does make you think about the greater good and forgiveness. It is a G rated book. Overall, I enjoyed the story.
Lynn R. (Wautoma, WI) (03/16/11)

Friendship Bread
I really enjoyed this book and every time I had to put it down I couldn't wait to pick it up again. The story covered the lives of several very different women and how they came together to become very good friends.

When there is a sudden loss of a child in a family, the grief can take on a life of its own. Everyone grieves differently and for different lengths of time. I felt this part of the story was quite real and told how sometimes you just don't know where to start rebuilding. Words were said and blame given (even if not deserved). That is very hard to take back even if you want to, it is hard to start a conversation and move beyond grief, you feel guilty moving on.

I also want to state that the bread is very good, especially the chocolate brownies.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.