Read what people think about While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky, and write your own review.

by Barbara Delinsky

• Published in USA  Feb 2009

There are currently 18 reader reviews for While My Sister Sleeps

Karen (01/14/09)

Beautifully written
While My Sister Sleeps was a true pleasure to read. As a sibling of one sister, I was drawn immediately to the topic of sibling rivalry and it's limits. The characters were genuine and their journey believable. Barbara Delinsky has created a terrific story, one that would be enjoyed by reading groups, as there could be no shortage of lively discussion after reading this book. This is the first book I have read by Delinsky and I am looking forward to reading more.
Dotty, teacher (01/14/09)

thought provoking
I enjoyed this book and found it to be quite thought provoking. It forced me to think about difficult issues, and how I would confront them.

I did find the book to be lacking in character development. I never felt as if I truly knew the characters. It left me wanting more.
Amellia (01/07/09)

Three letters...W-o-w!
I must point out that I have not read anything by Delinsky before "While My Sister Sleeps." Now I have to wonder why. This was a fabulous book, especially for book clubs who want to discuss a book with many topics that could lead to many different opinions: life support, relationships, the media, friends...and the many areas that are involved with a family crisis, even family secrets. I would have liked to read this at the same time as a sister, or friend to discuss it. That would be a great suggestion to anyone who would like to read this in it's debut. Pick up two copies and share with a friend while reading.

Without giving too much away, this was a book that forces the reader to ask questions of themselves. In fact this book sent me to the store for a journal to pass along my thoughts and feelings to my family. If a book can spark me to do anything in life...it must be good!

Thank you for allowing me the time to read this, I have to consider myself a Delinsky fan!
Kimberly (12/30/08)

While My Sister Sleeps
I haven't read many of Barbara Delinsky's books, something about the cover designs never seem to appeal to me (so much for judging a book by its cover). While My Sister Sleeps seemed to hold a lot of promise from the first page, it quickly became contrived and attempted to do too much. The novel spans one week in the life of the Snow family following traumatic events involving their Olympics-bound daughter. While the daughter’s condition remains central to the plot, the multitude of sub-plots, seemingly a new one each chapter, distracted from the initial premise and promising beginning.
Margot (12/29/08)

Delinsky consistently delivers
While My Sister Sleeps is another of Barbara Delinsky's consistent novels. She always seems to find a good voice for her characters and deliver emotional nuances that strike you as real.

In this novel, a sister and her family grapple with learning the secret life of their oldest daughter while she lies in a coma. It strikes home in that we never can fully know the interior thoughts and motivations of even our closest family.

It's a great read for a cold winter weekend with hot chocolate, a warm fire and a box of tissues. Enjoy.
Lynn (12/23/08)

A great Young Adult pick......
I have to admit that when this book arrived in my mailbox, my 15 year old daughter scooped it up and read it before I did. She had just finished reading Barbara Delinsky's previous book, "The Secret Between Us" and really enjoyed it. She gave a great review for this one as well.

I, on the other hand, felt that it was just average. The beginning was slow and I felt that it was going to be predictable. The story line does become more complicated with some twists and more depth so I was glad that I stuck with it. The novel deals with how a family deals with a tragedy that befalls it's "favorite daughter" . She is an Olympic marathon runner who fatefully has a heart attack while training and falls into a coma. The dire situation brings forth several family secrets as well as many issues between siblings, mother, father, husband and wife.

It was an easy, quick read and as it got moving, became more enjoyable. I can't help but compare it to "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult which deals with a similar story line and explores some of the same issues. "My Sister's Keeper" was much more suspenseful and thought provoking though.
Vivian (12/15/08)

Another Winner From Delinsky
I am a long time fan of this author and was very happy that she did not disappoint with this story. As always, Ms. Delinsky's strength lies in her ability to write realistically about relationships, mother/daughter, siblings and the love/hate relationship that we sometimes have with our family.

The book hooked me from the first page even though the storyline is heartbreaking. It made me think a lot about my own relationships with my mother and sister, and how I would react to such a sudden and devastating loss. A wonderful story of family, love, loss, forgiveness and understanding, I was sorry to see it end. I very highly recommend.
Power Reviewer Joan (12/13/08)

While My Sister SleepsI
I enjoyed this book and even with a busy Christmas schedule I couldn't put it down.The problems faced by the Snow family are universal.We all contend with aging parents and the change in our relationship with them.As parents we have to balance the needs of our children. Does the talented child monopolize the attention and resources of the family to the detriment of the siblings? Hopefully we won't have to end the life of a brain dead child but the author shows us the many stages in the decision and the way a family finally comes to decide.Even the pitfalls of being a good Samaritan is brought out.

As I was reading this book I kept thinking how it would keep my book club discussing for hours.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves

The Big Holiday Wordplay: