Read what people think about Green Monster by Rick Shefchik, and write your own review.

A Sam Skarda Mystery

by Rick Shefchik

• Published in USA  Sep 2008
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 19 reader reviews for Green Monster

Power Reviewer Mary (08/04/08)

Spotlight on Red Sox Nation
This is a great beach read - fast paced and a quick summer read! All baseball fans will love this mystery. The characters are multifaceted and there are good twists and turns not all predictable. I found it to be a very enjoyable page turner, sheer enjoyment not "great literature"! As a Red Sox fan, I loved the familiar players and local places and anyone from Boston especially would love to read it!
Stephen (07/20/08)

For those huge Sox fans!!!
I've never been a big fan of continuing series books so I go in with a bit of hesitation here. After reading this book, I would summarize it as a good mystery novel but maybe not for your average fan. This one will get its most enjoyment from diehard Red Sox fans. Though I like the Sox, I must admit that they are not my favorite team.

The character development could have been better, however the twist and turns are enough to keep you turning the pages.

All in all, not a bad book just don't expect to see it come Edgar award time.
Melanie (07/19/08)

Loved it....
Being a die hard Red Sox fan certainly made this an enjoyable read for me. I loved reading about all the local references and some of the details from the World Series games that Boston won!!!

Although I *am* a true Red Sox fan, I do believe that any lover of baseball would truly enjoy this book. It was well detailed and the story flowed nicely. I enjoyed the character development as well!!!

A great book made even better by adding a little bit of Red Sox Nation!! :)
Rebecca (07/15/08)

Green Monster by Rick shefchik
I was excited about reviewing this book because, being a baseball mystery, I thought boys in the high school where I teach might enjoy it. The mystery had lots of baseball information especially about the Boston Red Sox and the Green Monster which is a big green wall in the Boston outfield. I love sports and that part was good along with an ok mystery. Unfortunately, the book was filled with gratuitous sex which, for me, only made it difficult for me to get through. I felt the author was showing off his manhood or something and just throwing all the hook-ups in to be "manly"?! What the offensiveness did was make this book unsuitable for all but some men who are real Red Sox fans.
Marge (07/14/08)

Red Sox fans will want to love this book
Author Rick Shefchik isn‘t from Boston, but he definitely understands New England fans’ passion for baseball. The story lines of World Series, athletes and drugs, love, families, guns, murder, and power weave together in a fast tho often confusing pace. Red Sox fans will want to love this book but the characters are one-dimensional. This is not a brainy book, but it’s a fun and enjoyable mystery.
Eileen (07/10/08)

Titletown
Green Monster is a great selection for Red Sox fans and fans of baseball. It is a good book for a long plane trip or a day at the beach. Green Monster is a fun read, full of action and characters you enjoy knowing. Sam Skarda, The P.I. , is especially engaging. The story keeps you guessing until the end and is very topical.
Mary (07/09/08)

Green Monster
I enjoyed this book very much. I am a baseball fan, but I think even someone who doesn't follow baseball would enjoy the book.

The mystery has interesting characters, several different locations, humor, and baseball facts and lore mixed in, all of which keep the story moving and hard to put down. This was a great read, especially during baseball season.
Joe (07/09/08)

The Green Monster
I am a lover of good mysteries and anything that has to do with baseball so I was eagerly awaiting this book. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. This book is not a good mystery and the baseball background leaves much to be desired. The characters are weak, and in the case of the two ballplayers, are unrealistic. Much of the story is unbelievable. How in the post 9/11 world can the main character fly commercial airliners all around the world and arrive carrying his favorite glock automatic? Some lovers of action and adventure may enjoy this book but not mystery lovers and baseball fans.

• Book Jacket: I Contain Multitudes
    My Name Is Leon
    by Kit De Waal

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review