Reader reviews and comments on Icy Sparks, plus links to write your own review.

by Gwyn Hyman Rubio

Mar 2001, 308 pages
    Apr 2001, 308 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Icy Sparks

mmmart (04/23/11)

Boring
This book was boring. It never really got good, it also took me a long time to read it since it was so boring.
msommer (06/07/08)

I kept waiting for it to pick up
Pretty boring. I like to read Oprah's Book Club books but this one did not do much for me. I kept waiting for it to get good. The middle section at the hospital was interesting and that was it. For the most part I was disappointed.
LaVelle Brown (03/13/08)

Icy Sparks
Great story that was seriously flawed by religion and the premise that God can cure or fix everything. Sections one and two are a pleasant read. Section 3 is driven by a word for word delivery of a fundamentalist Christian revival, It was offensive and did not add to the story. In the end, I found Icy Sparks to be a disappointment.
Sarah (11/04/06)

Disappointing End to a Universal Tale
The story of Icy Sparks is a gripping tale of a young girl as she copes with undiagnosed Tourettes syndrome. Icy is an inspirational character; her journey raises valid questions of acceptance and superficial judgement. From a stylistic point of view, the novel has a relatively fast paced and strong prose, using dialogue and description very effectively. The end of this book leaves the reader with little sense of finality, posing a simplistic remedy to Icy's disorder. It is unfortunate that such a strong and universally true narrative withers to such a weak and seemingly hasty end.
Jenna (01/22/05)

This book started strong and I truly enjoyed it but by the end of the book it seemed that it didn't know which genre it should be - a romance, a religious novel, etc? I don't recommend reading this book.
Phil (12/01/04)

Excellent - moving, endearing and will resonate after reading.
S.M.M (10/11/04)

Icy Sparks is not a book I probably would have picked up and read if it hadn't been assigned by a book club I belong to. Overall it was an enjoyable read. I felt the author did a good job of conveying the thoughts and emotions of a young girl who is "different." I notice someone else reviewing on this page liked the beginning and end, but not the middle - I found that intriging, because I enjoyed the beginning and middle but disliked the ending!!! Several members of our book club wondered if the ending had been written by a different author - Icy's character and habits seem to change so abruptly!! I thought the ending was flat.
Liz (02/09/04)

Icy Sparks is one of the best books I've ever read. I REALLY enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down. I had to read it for a class and I'm glad I did!

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review